FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Ezzi
Community Member

Hello and thank you everone to be so understanding who is discussing about vaccinations. Yes, it's a bit of fear/uncertainty coupled with anxiety along with ptsd of not knowing the outcome if I decide to have a vaccination or not. All this messing about with the laws of who's allowed to have which vaccination is so unfair. We're supposed to be a country with a choice of free will and every human being should have those rights but when it comes to covid vaccinations, the law seems to chop and change constantly. I don't wish to be a Guinea Pig for any medical authorities or anyone to experiment with. There are different of types vaccinations for different age groups. The W.H.O. is right up to date when it comes to vaccinations, however, it's still not a guarantee that any vacs is 100% suitable for any age group especially the older generation. I wanted to have the pfizer vac and was informed by medical authorities that it's only available for those under 60 yrs, those above that age we don't get a choice. I'm not interested in anything else. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions,... i need have a clear head before I decide what's best for me. Regards.

al_ch
Community Member

All honestly, your best way to reassure yourself is to switch off all the media.

They have done an awful job at making people panic and they are now hitting their heads against the wall for what they have to themselves. Media people need their freedom as much as their viewers and everyone else, but it's too late for them to wind back the damage.

I listen to Coronacast, that's a good start for anyone. Then you have several researchers that have social media accounts, get onto that. Some make the odd appearances on various ABC shows. Ok, I know I sound like I'm advertising the ABC and a bit contradictory to me saying switch off all media, but in all honesty, they are the only ones that have tried to somehow be rational about vaccines.

There is plenty of positive, encouraging, and good information out there. When you read some negative, ask yourself where is it coming from? Is this supported by science? What do researchers say about it and most importantly, what does my GP recommend? No one knows your health better than your GP more so if you are over 60!

Mimsy19
Community Member
Not coping so well, here in Melbourne. Major mood swings, I break things, then get teary, then just numb. I tried going out but panicked because of everyone wearing the masks, I thought everyone was trying to hurt me (that'll be the clinical paranoia, but it's hard to realise that in the moment). I'm having trouble with self care and hygiene and my mother told me I stank. That didn't help much. My next psychiatrist appointment is in late October, that's the earliest I could get. So sick of this. Somehow, Dan Andrews saying he "sympathises" with the people he crushes just doesn't help. I don't read the news anymore.

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi al_ch

I so agree with your comment! I listen to the corona cast and follow Dr Bill bowtell and Dr norman swan on twitter. I had a good chat to my GP about it to.

I didn't know where all the misinformation is coming from. Social media I guess.

I've had the first astra zeneca shot with no problems and won't relax until I've had the second shot in a couple of weeks as the virus is getting out of control near me.

The Abc really is the best place to get reliable information and it is worth checking what the health experts are saying!

Ezzi
Community Member
Wow! al_ch you really know how to say it without any empathy compassion so on. Read my previous posts and it may give you a bit of insight. No, I DON'T know follow the media at all. Seldom do. Only to find out where all exposure sites are here in Victoria and that's enough for me. As for my gp, I'm very well taken care off. No two individuals are alike. Everyone's medical reactions are personal and shouldn't be compared to the next individual. NO I DON'T read what I don't know what I'm talking about. Regardless of my age I'm very switched on of what's going on in the medical field. Studied medicine and practiced medicine for many years. Just because I'm in the older generation, i haven't lost the plot.. oftentimes; the older generation is looked down as if we no longer can think for ourselves. I'm well over 70 yrs old and still very independent to look after myself and those to come to me for some tlc, empathy compassion in this uncertain times. I'm feel so happy to givenof my self to hrlp others where can.

Yeah , l watch abc or sbs . They're the only ones that have even indigenous and many other things and no no's that the commercial channels are just too scared or conservative to touch.

They have a good summary midday , catch the start of that and your good to go in 15.

l must admit l have been watching too much though again through the day also lately , gotta stop that. l have a world stat covid thing on my pc too so that if l wanna know what each countries situation is at any time it has the lot in a simple daily list. If you wanna go further than just the numbers you can click on any country and get the full run down. l hardly use that anymore though it was mainly just for through last yr , a quick abc summary does me now .

rx

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hi there

the comment that you've made regarding no one knows you better than your gp - personally i strongly disagree on that one. No one knows yu better than urself. Gps are given excessive power unfortunately, and ive been led down to nearly the end of my tethr by gps who were very backwards on mental health.
GPs are general practitioners by nature, and many have very limited understanding about mental health. I feel it's risky to tell users here to defer to their GP 100 percent. I've been told that all my life and did everything my GP said.
It led me unfortuantely to the lowest point in my mental health

GPs should be colloborative, sensitive, refer on suitably, and complement our own intuition, and our own chosen MH treatment, which may include things outside of the medical model, in my humble opinion and experience

lunastone
Community Member
@ezzi: i am sorry to hear that you feel that way. Is there a reason why you would prefer pfizer? All vaccines have side effects. Pfizer also gives rare side effect of myocraditis but treatable. As for guinea pigs, i don't think we are, as US, UK etc are 8 months ahead of us with vaccination. Australia is also very conservative and has only just approved Moderna, which has been used extensively in many countries in the past 8 months. So i trust them if they say both pfizer and AZ are safe. I have friends and families who are living oversea. They all have theirs (moderna, jassen, pfizer, AZ, spunik and sinovac). No one gets to choose. They got what they were offered on that day. However, I think the situation is rather different there than here. Covid is running rampage in those countries so the benefit outweight the risk for whatever side effects they might have. It is a personal choice and it is normal to have hesistancy with the new drug. I was also not keen 8 months ago. Well, i changed my mind as seeing everyone i know oversea has gotten the jab and moved on. If anyone who knows me from this thread, i am kinda tired of the draconian rules -- which triggered my anxiety and depression etc. I think pfizer will be available to everyone later this year when we have more stock. So in principle, one could wait and hope that there is no outbreak -- so far our draconian rules are meant to surpress the spread. Good luck in making the decision and take care. xx

hi lunastone

i relate to and undeerstand a lot of what u are saying

the rules sometimes trigger me and i hate particularly curfews. it is a PTSD trgger. i dont want to be told what hours i cant leave my home. I think a lot of the language and guidance is draconian and lacking in empathy for the most vulnerable. I didnt want the vax, but will probably get it, and have booked in.

My heart goes out to those trying to recover. I think we stil have a long way to go in helping ppl in trms of the MH aftermath of these times... i am myself at a loss how i can help or be helpd.

I like that we can have the tough convos here. As long as u are trying ur best to keep safe, keep others safe, and not put urself or othrs at risk - who is anyone to judge. Do what feels right for u.

I hope lunastone u feel safe and okay to vent here. i hear you.

@sleepy21: this thread sometime moves very fast so i can't keep up on everything other than a few who i have 'met' on the other thread. I also got what you meant about the curfew etc. I was all for the lockdown etc until i lost a young friend last year from a sudden death. A death which could have been prevented if he went to check out with some symptoms. At the time, no one was dare to set foot into the hospital due to covid risk. This got me here on the BB forum. I have also known someone who refused to see the GP because worried about being treated like a covid infected person (no risk here in WA at the time). Our draconian rules to fight for covid and fear are delaying necessary treatment for other illnesses at the moment.

No one wants the vaccine. I had many lengthly discussions with my oversea friends and did some scientific reading myself (i am always curious in science). As i mentioned, i was not at all keen 8 months ago. I worried about the side effects, not enough data etc. I was converted because I saw the benefit for the community, myself, my little family here, and a way to get back to semi-normal life. It is a collective effort. I have accepted that mask, social distancing etc are here to stay for a while even with the vaccine as we want to help stopping the virus from mutating. I just don't like lockdown and like you, being told when to go out or not. The virus is here to stay and we cannot hide forever. I want to go and see my family oversea when it is safer to do so. I do feel safer having the vaccine but know that it is not a silver bullet. I'm constantly having the stress, sadness etc with what's going on in the world. Take care.