FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

HI Feeler,

the news is very hectic, I also don't find it helpful at all. Maybe at this time less is more

Angela77
Community Member
Hi, I haven’t been on a forum in years, but with the situation now I feel like I need some support. I try to keep my news reading to a minimum otherwise my anxiety and depression gets worse. I’m trying to study as it is now all online and am finding it so hard to have motivation to do this. I feel like I have lost the structure to my days and weeks. I’m trying to stay busy with art and craft stuff and podcasts and netflix. I’m finding stand up comedy is keeping me sane. Does anyone have any ideas about creating structure?

Hi Angela77,

I enjoyed reading your post.

You're so right, structure and routine are so important in these times.

I've been using the health app on my iphone to track all of my set. I'm trying to do 10,000 steps a day to keep active. I'm also planning each meal with a recipe online, because trying something new is great for the mind.

On a more person level, I went to the my GP the other day. It's always satisfying to fill him in on how I'm feeling.

Hope something I've mentioned is of help.

Have a great weekend.

Regards,

Doran

Tangney
Community Member
I agree with Hoplah, Elizabeth and Andre. Elizabeth, I have a family member in a similar situation. Other conditions don't seem to matter any more. I'm very angry about it. I'm also really angry about some of these rules and regulations, like closing beaches. There doesn't seem to be any consideration of the impact on people. Maybe the measures to control coronavirus will be worse than the virus itself. I'm in the unusual position of having no fear of the virus at all. But I am fearful of the impact of the measures. I can't wait until these restrictions are lifted but I'm very worried about how long this could go on for.

Yeah , l find it really pays sparing myself too much news.

Got it down pat now l can find a summery that takes about 15mins and really that does the job. Admittedly every few days l do still feel the need to sit down and find a good dose of everything going on that might run an hour or so but once l know what's been happening l can go back to my little updates for a few more days again. trouble is the numbers everywhere else can be really worrying if you've left it a few days but thankfully ours are looking much better here.

Hello everyone,

Bookgirl,sorry you had a bad day, I know that feeling. It is hard . I am not sure why or in what way your day was difficult. Hope tomorrow is better.

Tagney, the restrictions are made on advice from experts to make sure the curve is flattened. Some things may not make sense to us but they will help the big picture and everyone plays the part.

I can understand all the changes can be hard to cope with.

Random sounds like you have a plan for coping with covid-19 news overload.

Hi to everyone!

I don't know what to say today, feeling a bit anxious over all that is going on in the world and maybe some of the stuff I've been seeing on social media....

too much news and panic related online discussion.

not feeling that people are reaching out enough... but I've tried now to reach out more to others, even people i don't like that much! I want to shift myself from this panicy mode to a more generous mode, this should be a time to help and be kind.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
This afternoon I took my kids to their mothers for easter and i felt very guilty for being on the road and like i was doing something wrong and i was going to get in trouble even though i had a court order to prove i was doing nothing wrong.There was hardly another car on the road.It was a real weird feeling being on the road.

Hey Matchy

I guess it depends on what state we are living in..I couldnt do the same here in Victoria though

This is a difficult and confusing period Mark...I hear you loud and clear...Paul

Hi Angela77

A big warm welcome to the community 🙂 Thanks for posting.

As someone who has lived alone a long time and hates routine, I can share with you some stuff I've learned about my own schedule:

- schedule the bare minimum of study/work. Bare minimum!! Reward myself for incremental achievements. Take a proper lunchbreak nearly every day.

- Schedule only essential housework (eg I do the dishes every night and take out wet rubbish every night, and now do extra daily cleaning these days because of covid-19, but everything else is pretty flexible.)

- I have certain things I do every day because they keep me mentally healthy. They support my sense of self-esteem, personal identity and agency. They are: water my plants, squeeze and drink a citrus fruit, some random stretching, my French lesson, look at trees and feel awe for nature, write a gratitude list, exchange affirmations with three friends via text, and connect properly, emotionally, with at least three different other people). I enjoy all that stuff so it's no burden. It's effective for me... Bang for my buck.

Things I do **nearly** daily for my mental health are:

- walk outside, even a short walk just for circulation and fresh air

- volunteering, giving it away, service to others, whatever you want to call it

- meditate with an app

- aromatherapy

- journal (a speech recording or in writing, whatever I feel like).

As you can see, it's all about self-care, gentleness, recharging, connection and joy.

Most important, do what works for YOU Angela

Hope that helps. 🙂