FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi BM111

I hear you about the challenge of filling the time.

At first I thought I would learn another laguage to keep my brain working (was actually excited about it), but quickly found I didn't really have the motivation. It just seemed like a good idea.

Some of the things I am doing that I enjoy, include:

• A daily walk. Up to 4.5 kms!
  • Daily phone call to one family member or friend.
  • Reading and writing.
  • Started a giant puzzle with my daughter (haven't done a puzzle in years).
  • Bought a few cookbooks online and trying new recipees.
  • Making or baking something extra a couple of times a week. I either share it with a neighbour or send it to work with hubby.
  • Playing with my dog.
  • Cleaning everything, cupboards, baseboards, garage, etc.

It's not always easy but somehow the days go by. I think the most important thing is to stay connected with people.

Kind thoughts to you

Hi everyone,

If you look on Utube, the Do Re Mi song from The Sound of Music (Julie Andrews and the children) has been turned into a Covid19 song - it very funny and it gets the message home! It's had over five million hits. Do go on and enjoy a bit of a laugh!

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi BM111,

It's a bit like that - I live alone with my small dog - I think we're all just kind of pottering around - I take the dog for a walk, do some things around the house, watch some TV, try to talk on the phone to someone each day, Google things, I have a couple of bloggers that I follow and chat to online... it's difficult for those of us alone. I also read a lot which helps. I just aim to get through each day... they do go by.. and I try to treat myself a bit with a favourite chocolate or enjoy something funny on Utube - I think we need to treat/pamper ourselves a little but during these difficult times. I can really empathise with you it's tough going. BB can be good for some chats. Wishing you all the best!

hello everyone

Pepper

What a great list .

have notice there are adds and lost of examples of people thanking people who don't often get thanked.

also notice on lists there is not one celebrity, sports person, film star or politicinas.

To your wonderful list of thank you I would add

Thank you

cleaners

volunteers

garbage workers

recyclers

people making masks

Pharmacists assistants

all the workers at internet companies making sure we stay on line

volunteers and paid people who work on support and help lines

Radio and tv journalists

people making parody songs

people making exercise video,'

YouTube

grief counsellors

all counsellors

people who manufacture chocolate

farmers

cheesemakers

Anyone want to add more unsung heroes.

meforcats
Community Member

BM111

I live alone too. I do online workouts for seniors twice a day. Mostly. TED talks were really good yesterday. Reading, tv and I'll paint later. It's nice to get out to the shops.

Take care.

Hi BM111

Just some ideas for how you could pass the time... Take what you like and leave the rest:

- learn a new type of exercise or dance

- try easy yoga, just for fun and entertainment

- check out meditation apps, develop mindfulness skills

- do an online course in a topic you like - FutureLearn is excellent and free

- learn more about the plants and foods you like to eat... When were they introduced to your part of the world? Can they be grown there or do they travel from a different growing climate? What did ancient people believe or know about that food?

- start to learn a foreign language or musical instrument

- learn to dance (???)

- learn to cook a favourite meal you'd normally get at a restaurant (be kind to yourself if you don't get it immediately)

- watch documentaries on topics you like

- study history, it is more relevant now than at any other moment in our lifetimes

- find a way to volunteer or contribute virtually

- dress up in all your old clothes you never wear any more

- try some self-guided free online e-therapy

- write a poem, story or screenplay (you never have to show anyone)

- write your own biography or write an essay about a person you respect, and what are their personal qualities that are so important to you

- learn to juggle or tie tactical knots

- call an elderly person and practice listening skills

- learn to read music

- create a monster or creature using only kitchen materials, take a photo and share with friends.

- do decoupage, origami, scrapbooking or collage... It's really relaxing

- write a daily gratitude list

- journal

And when all else fails....

- look at the sky and notice its changing colours

🙂 You'll pull through. We're all in this together.

Your shoutout to chocolate manufacturers really made me smile. Thanks for that 🙂

Shay94
Community Member

I'm Shay, haven't been on here for a while so been a while since I posted anything. Saw this thread and had to read it to see how everyone is coping. This virus has caused so much fear, anxiety, struggles with families, job security etc and I just wanted to sat that we all need to come together, be strong and fight this thing so it doesn't harm anymore of us. That means social distancing if you absoutely have to drive somewhere, wear face masks/gloves to protect yourselves, wipe trolleys etc others have been in contact with so spread of germs is decreased etc. Stay home as much as possible, facetime family/friends to keep everyone updated & make sure they're ok being stuck in isolation.

I know there's lots of people out there suffering from severe anxiety from this pandemic (myself included) especially those that have kids, elderly people or are sick from cancer etc but I want all of you to try being strong & we will get thru this. For those thats got kids and are struggling to keep them entertained during this difficult time, try things like: painting, drawing/colouring in, board games, Easter egg hunt at home, ask them to help cook meals if old enough, read books etc & this will fly by. Stay safe out there everyone & try to enjoy the Easter weekend with your family - we will get thru this!

Feeler
Community Member

Hi All

I would like to -as others on here have- thank those who are still leaving there homes to work. They are compassionate and they are important.

With that said, I have come up with a way of coping - Looking at the site I get my news from once or twice a day but not clicking on any pieces about the Virus until it is very much better. I read two analysis pieces this Morning thinking they would give me certainty or at least help me accept a lack of certainty. Three hours later I'am still getting over the pessimistic quotes that were in them. I understand that Medics want us to be cautious and I understand that Politicians want to be thought of as putting amazing measures in place but just reading the quotes has had me feeling down. It's as if I've been rapped on the knuckles - for not worrying that something like COVID-19 would happen, for not living in a Country where every single Person does exactly what they are told, for believing that the Virus could be kept and stopped in China without much trouble, for not having a cure or vaccine ready. That's not a healthy place to be in so I'am avoiding detailed coverage. I'am hopeful that it will proove a good balance between being underinformed and being overwhelmed.

Wishing you all well

Bookgirl
Community Member
Having a really bad day today. I wish all this would just go away. So hard sometimes