FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Hello everyone,

The leaders, doctors, police are all doing their best to flatten the curve and lessen the pandemic. No one has had experience of this before so they rely on experts, what other countries are doing and up to date information.

Moon, it is confusing but when in doubt we err on the side of safety and caution.

I used to love going on walks and I still go on a short walk everyday.

I also have discovered low impact exercises on youtube for beginners that involve no equipment and no jumping.

The phrase "we are all in this together" can help us.

Take care

Hi SquireHarbour and shout-outs to Quirky, Comfy (CMF), Summer Rose, Pamela, Sophie M and new posters.

I'm sorry your outlook on things is worrying. Looking toward the future can bind us with fear when we think the worst. Our mental health is always primary, especially in difficult circumstances.

Fear is the enemy during this time.

I listen to the rain hitting my roof as I write and give thanks the drought's gone. (From my area anyway) Our dam was dry as a bone and now it's full, supporting an abundance of birdlife and animals as well as our human population.

It was a very long haul waiting for the rains to come, but we survived. This is how I see C-19; we only have one choice and that's to wait, take one day at a time and pray for those affected.

I have my health, home, family and friends. I'm blessed. Emergencies remind me of how important the simple things in life are. People are coming together with support just like they did to see them through two world wars.

Humans can be amazing when there's a crisis, just like we are on these threads atm.

You're going to get through it ok. We all are...

Hugs from Sez

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

We are deemed essential. 4 of us in the office but distanced and only because. I can't work from home as i am a receptionist. i meant 3 of us 'visiting' at M's. I won't go, he'll just need to understand. As i said, he could com to mine as i will be home on my own. If everyone starts saying, oh, it's only 1 extra person etc it will be crazy. Also, i don;t want o be pulled over and have to explain myself.

Yes, a nice quiet day is on the cards 🙂

CarmenL
Community Member

I just arrived Australia for my university study in February, I tried to adapt to the mode of teaching and tried to be engaged in any social activity that can meet some new friends. Being busy with the school work and the social activities, I didn't have time to feel home sick. However, it started to change when my school switched to online teaching in late March. Now, I have more time to think and reflect. I feel very lonely for most of my time as I live alone, without friends and families. I am afraid to be sick as no one here to take care of me and comfort me. However, I have no choice but to stay here for my nursing placement and examinations.

I don't know when will this pandemic end, when can we have social activities again, and when will the border be released, so my family can come and visit me. I hope this hard time will pass soon, so I can meet my friend and families again.

Fudo
Community Member

So I have PTSD, anxiety is my foremost issue, becoming homeless again is my concern. Having a paradoxical reaction to medication, leaves me with one calming/coping method, that is riding my motorcycle (alone). Before I am ridiculed/scoffed at, treating psychiatrists and psychologists have recognised as well as encourage this firm of therapy. I am carer for my 12 year old grandson who also has PTSD and is classed as a high needs challenging behaviour. Taking a ride on my motorcycle calms him and when his behaviour escalates. Now my anxiety levels are heightened as I naturally don't wish to be fined or incarcerated for merely making both our lives more liveable. Due to this fear pandemic I'm unable to organise respite (which I enjoyed 6 hours per day whilst school was operating). Anyways, that's my situation, is anyone else facing this dilemma?

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Dear Supermum,

I could really relate to some of what you wrote - it reminded me of a sentiment I've seen around the internet:

"Kinda feeling like the Earth 🌏 has sent us all to our rooms to think about what we've done."

I hope we do spend some of this isolation time thinking about things, and that we can come out the other side of this with more thoughtfulness for our planet and more compassion for one another.

GenR
Community Member

I am not scared etc about covid19. I originally trained in microbiology and immunology and my science background helps me have a better understanding of the nature of risk than many people. But I do appreciate that others don't have that advantage or have reasons to feel worried for loved ones with susceptibilities.

Please remember there is actually very good news for Australia. The restrictions put in place have already put us in a good strong place. We are way ahead of Europe etc.

I am lucky in many ways - tho I have no work as a casual our household income is comfortable. I have a loving husband etc.

but I suffer from chronic depression and had not been that long out of a long hospital stay & very much trying to recover when this pandemic hit. I was someone already suffering mental illness before the pandemic. I am also an extrovert. Many of my recovery and stay well strategies depend upon direct social contact and these are now stripped from me. And no, the vast majority of electronic means do not help - they just add to my distress because they remind me of what I no longer have. I try to do my best with routines but I am increasingly finding it harder and harder and have to have some/more stay in bed days - the only way to not feel overwhelmed. I would love to get into my study which is normally absorbing but "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" that is, my mind is just so not there most of the time... I fear I may deteriorate to the extent that I will end up in hospital again...

I wld love to hear fr others who also have chronic mental illness who are suffering too from the social restrictions...

Hi Birdy77,

I absoulity loved what you wrote "Earth 🌏 has sent us all to our rooms".

That one sentence I will share with friend and family.

One a personal level, it gives me a spiritual context to our isolation, helping with my anxiety, stress and paranoia.

Hope you've had a great day.

Regards,

Doran

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

I feel this is a very strange time. I don’t think there’s necessarily a “correct” emotional response.

I, for one, seem to be on a daily emotional roller coaster ride...up, down, everywhere...

But I just wanted to spare a moment to just express my gratitude, respect & appreciation for people who work at the frontline. These people who are exposed to significantly elevated risks to provide necessary & life giving services to all of us.

So thank you:

• Nurses
  • paramedics
  • doctors
  • pharmacists
  • scientists/researchers
  • supermarket workers
  • public transport drivers - train, bus, tram, etc.
  • Allied health workers & other hospital staff
  • Support workers
  • Carers
  • Etc

It’s not much, but thank you. I’ve been wanting to say that for some time.

Although I believe the best thank you is just staying at home as much as we can, & following state health advice as best we can 🙂

Kindness and care to all,

Pepper

BM111
Community Member

Hi,

Bit of a silly question, but what can you do to fill the time when you don't really have many hobbies? I'm a single woman who lives by myself which is making me feel so incredibly isolated - more so than usual. Normally on my days off I'd try and get out of the house, maybe go to the shops, head to the beach or occasionally catch up with friends. I've never really had any specific hobbies because nothing really seemed to give me much enjoyment in all honesty.

I've been trying to be productive on my days off from work but I feel like i'll run out of things to do - especially when the weather gets worse. I could work more if i wanted but its already truly exhausting. I'm trying to read books, do some art, watch some tv shows but what else?? Gardening is already done, I can't do home improvement because I rent. Also as much as I'd love to get myself a pet to help with loneliness, i cant because of my long work hours.

I guess my plan is to try and exercise more, but days certainly are long when you're trying to find things to do. All that time to think really makes it easy for negative thoughts to creep in.

I'm trying to keep in touch with friends online but every time i'm on there it kind of brings me down. It's post after post of people trying to have fun and make the most out of things (which is great) but it seems as though everyone has someone - whether it be kids / housemates / partners. It's so difficult when you only have yourself...

Anyway, hope everyone is staying safe out there and trying to take care of themselves as best as they can.