FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Pamela and others

Commercial tv news covered the launch of bb's new coronavirus service tonight. Woo-hoo!

Such a wonderful opportunity for bb to increase its reach and help members of the wider community who may necessarily have needed support in the past.

Kind thoughts to all

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

How awesome is that Summer Rose. Thanks for letting me know. You're so right - getting into mainstream in a big way is so important. Maybe this will mean better funding in the future for BB.

SwanniesFan1
Community Member

Hi All, first time poster here. I have anxiety and am on antidepressants to manage this, which thankfully have been working well. I am lucky to still have a job (I work in the aged care industry). I'm not scared of getting the virus, but I'm so scared of passing it along to the elderly people I care for unknowingly.

I also live alone, and am struggling a little bit with the isolation and all the restrictions on not going to be able to go anywhere (especially the gym!). What are you guys doing to keep yourself busy during this time?

SWannesFan, welcome to the forum and thanks for making your first post here.

Many people have listed ways they cope in earlier posts.

There is a thread How to take a Practical advantage of isolation which has ideas of positive things people are doing to cope.

Welcome again.

Supermum
Community Member

Hi all ,

Its all a little bit crazy at the moment. All my self care activities that kept me mainly on the straight and narrow have all but stopped due to self isolation and restrictions. I refuse to watch the news due to it being anxiety provoking and work ( im a nurse ) is just as stressful . It was once a place of sanctuary and order and a place I was someone else , someone I liked being . But no more . I find myself thinking humans are the virus , the plague , the fungus of the planet . We are truly the most self centered materialistic, glutinous, cruel and think nothing of wiping out another species, cutting down rainforests, abusing animals etc etc. Covid19 doesn’t scare me , I do everything I need to protect my loved ones and the ones I care for but if it’s my time to go then so be it . It will finish a job I’ve wanted to do in a long time. I just wish the human race will learn from this and evolve . Learning a very hard lesson that we are guests on this planet 🌎

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi all,

Is anyone clear on rules for Easter or in general? My kids can see their Dad. Great. My partner and I don't live together. I live with my kids, he with his 2 kids and his sis. My understanding is we can see each other but only if we live alone. I am still going to work as is his sis and son. I believe I should not go there for Easter. His mum has a relative from overseas staying witjh her since before this started. They live 2 doors down and will be there. I would be a 3rd guest and not comfortable about it. I've expressed this. Pretty sure I'll stay home alone for lunch which is fine by me. 3 of us still going to work, not comfortable with that.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi CMF It is very confusing all these rules we have now and they seem to vary from state to state.I have been told to ring the police and get clarification on some rules which i was a bit unsure of.I think best thing is to stay home and stay safe.I will be dropping my kids off at their mothers tomorrow and will be taking the court order with me as proof as what i am doing.

SwanniesFan1 I live alone too with my cat. She's good company when she sits on my lap. I made a list of things to do. Music, movies on my Tablet, online workouts I do twice a day, read, Ted talks, meditation apps, relax, Google, clean. I have a support worker who rings me.

Take care.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

I agree with Matchy it is confusing with different states and different rules.

CMF I think when in doubt stay home .Do you mean there are 3 of you at your work? Is that because it is deemed essential? I suppose you are doing social distancing. hat makes you feel uncomfortable? Do you feel you should be working from home?

I think it is confusing for many as rules/guidelines change every day . I suppose we have to trust common sense keep up to date with changes, and hen in doubt stay at home.

I feel for people who don't have a home.

It is so confusing that must be so hard for some folk to navigate...and it does seem to vary from State to State...so unless it's your own State Premier repeating the "bans and rules about going out" ad nauseum with stony faced negativity.....you don't get the exact situation..

e.g. we are told we can visit a friend socially but only 2 visitors at a time; while being told that going out in your car is banned except for "essentials"...so visiting a friend socially is not allowed at all....? Or is it..?

I think I can go for a walk (recommended by my physiotherapist) but if I walk too many blocks I may just cross over into the "next suburb" which is banned. Police have been stopping walkers and demanding they return to their "own village".

also...when I walk, I have to sit down and rest for a little while (due to a bad hip and back) before I walk back home. This is now banned too...I am not allowed to sit on a bench (alone) in fact the seats have been roped off...both outdoors and in our town's major shopping mall.