FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Humanity at its best mark!

i love hearing stories like these.

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Thank you Mark (Matchy69) for this beautiful story.

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I hope everyone is taking time and space to take care of themselves and have compassion for their anxiety during this weird time.

I live in a bushfire impacted area.

There has been such an outpouring of compassion and care amongst the community here, people walking past each other in the street saying "are you ok?" , people in the supermarket chatting with strangers and hugging them with care and concern at their situation.

Now, i saw yesterday 1 local smack a supermarket saff member and yell "that's not fair, you can't have that!!" because they were walking in the carpark with a packet of toiletrolls under their arm. I heard the supermarket employee say "i am taking this to a customer's car!"

No matter whether the staff member was taking it to a customer, or buying it fir themselves, it was 1 packet, and goodnees me ... a few weeks ago we were all looking out for each other ... now???

So disappointing!

Can we not jark back to a month ago and pull forth our community spirit, our compassion fir our neighbours, like Mark experienced today?

Let's look after each other!

I have been disappointed to see some call things that are written here "whingeing". It's called anxiety. And that is exactly why this thread and BB is here, and thank goodness they are, to help us feel more connected and less alone. As a community let's support each other in understanding, not judgement.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Birdy and Gambit i thought i would post something posotive the great Aussie spirit that we saw during the bushfires.This man made me cry that their is still amazing people still here.All we seem to here about is all the negativity.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Mark that sounds very kind of that man. It must be very inspiring and heartening to feel the care of others just because you are a fellow human. There are definitely amazing people out there and it's great to hear that you met one.

hi Birdy that sounds so upsetting and disgusting to witness that interaction re a worker being accused of "stealing" toilet paper when he was helping a customer. I don't see any of the writing here as whinging at all. I've read through most of the posts and that's never the experience I observed. Sometimes its hard to express things and I'm glad people feel here that they can type uninhibited their worries and fears, I believe it should be a safe space for all to share their lives rollercoasters, even on days when it is a struggle. We do not always need to be positive, and surely someone can relate/understand.

Guest_1055
Community Member

I agree there is definitely kind humans out there. We just have to really see them.

Sometimes it is a challenge when we are struggling ourselves to notice it. But believe me they are there.

You can see kindness in:

... A big brother giving a hug to his little sister

...a person giving a gentle pat to their dog

... a person giving up there seat for someone else

... When someone genuinely smiles at someone else

... taking a meal to someone who is shut in

... Forgiving yourself for something maybe a mistake is kindness to yourself (I am working on this one)

.... Letting someone else take the car park space

....Sharing the last punnet of grapes with your hubby when really you just want to eat them all yourself ( ah...me)

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I have a heap of Tangelos and lemons on my tree i am going to hand them out in bags when they are ready.

Inside of Sauna bath, would sun bathing do? I am Asian unlikely to get skin cancer

greywise
Community Member
My wife and I are worried about our superannuation savings. We are told do not worry superannuation is for the long term. How long is long term? I am 77 deaf and crippled, my wife is 70 but both are in good health. We are frugal (our car is 20 years old) saved all our lives and only get relative small amounts of partial pension. The super fund would not tell me even when I tell them I would not hold them to it, they are afraid to commit. I know nothing is certain, any guesses? For me time is the essence.