FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi everyone I have some good news the doctor rung me before and said that me and my daughter are free to go about doing our normal thing.They still could not tell me if the person who was suspected with the virus had tested negative or positive with the virus.They were a bit cagey with that but said me and my daughter didnt have to be in isolation anymore.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi everyone...

That is such good news..Matchy..I’m so happy for you...Probably would have to be negative test results..or else you would be still in isolation for the 14 days...

Grandy..

Thanks Harry that’s really nice of you.

I wanted to update here as I’m finding this an outlet where I can actually be honest about how I’m feeling.

I feel like I’m absolutely crumbling mentally. As someone with perfectionism, anxiety and depression anyway, I guess I feel like I’m not handling this situation as well as my peers/colleagues at least appear to be. I find I’m doubting myself in every aspect of what I’m doing, feeling incompetent, and freaking myself out about infection control, and the endless amount of worry thoughts is burning me to the ground and I’m becoming severely depressed. I cry in the bathroom at least once a day.

I called in sick today, due to my mental health. I got a bunch of messages, but not the supportive kind more just it feels like pressure about turning up tomorrow. The thoughts are just spiraling. I tried talking to my supervisors and my uni teachers, but was pretty disappointed with their lack of interest or support. I feel like I’m just a number in a big sea of others who are all tackling this giant issue we all face and in the scheme of things I’m just invisible. I just feel like I’m getting lost and nobody is able to see what I’m going through. This virus is a big issue and it’s overshadowing mental health

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Matchy,

If the person had tested positive for the coronavirus they would have kept you in quarantine. So you should be fine.

The person shouldn't have turned up at the surgery - if you get ill with flu like symptoms, fever, cough etc you are meant to telephone the surgery, not go in, and follow whatever advice they give you over the phone - which will probably be to go to a fever clinic/emergency department at a hospital, not a GP surgery.

Glad you're released!!!

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Bellana

Welcome to the forum.
I am glad you are finding thread so informative.

I too have issues with sleep but I am lucky to get 3hrs of restless sleep and I am always tired.

I don't have many answers. If you put sleep problemsthe search bar at right hand top of page you will find some helpful threads.

I think the usual advice of being calm and applying sleep hygiene can help.

would try not watching or listening to anything about corona before you go to bed.

Once again welcome to the forum.

Jitters_Jumps___Lurking_P
Community Member
With everything going on lately with the COVID19 and the lurking economic depression, my anxiety is sky-rocketing.
I am so worried that I've contracted the virus as I have been ill for the past week.
I have been to the doctors and the fever clinic and both believe that it is only the flu as I have no temperature and I have not travelled overseas or knowingly been in contact with someone who has the illness. I'm currently being tested for everything to be sure but I'm horrified that it will come back positive with something nasty. My worry has turned to what feels like in shock - I'm so confused and scared and my mind won't settle. So many 'what-if' scenarios...
To make matters worse, I'm an immune compromised university student who came back from a field trip a few weeks ago where there was 150+ students (I'm assuming all healthy at the time) in one area and I live with my mother and grandmother (who believe I just have the flu).
I've done my very best to limit any contact with others, practice good hygiene to the point of it becoming OCD and following my doctor requests that I put myself into social isolation (as she is worried about me contracting anything else - not necessarily me spreading anything) but I'm worried that it maybe too late and I've passed whatever I may or may not have onto other people.
I don't know what I would do if my test came back with something and I've unintentionally passed it onto someone else - especially the elderly or other immune compromised people. I think I would shrivel up into a hole and die.
But the doctor says that it's highly unlikely that I have it, that I was only tested to make sure that it wasn't COVID or glandular fever and that I was requested to stay home as to not get sick from other people but I still feel like I need to rip my hair out - scream (if I could) - run (if I could) - throw something.
I honestly can't remember the last time I had anxiety that resembles a state shock like this. I'm so lost.

Hi Everyone,

There are so many different posts here. It is wonderful we have this space to share how we are feeling openly, to notify others of beneficial things to do at this time, how to survive, how to cope if you are not doing so well and just generally acknowledging and validating how each other feels.

Life is certainly different at the moment. A few things I've noticed besides the lack of toilet paper rolls in the supermarket:

- people are adaptable, just look at the sport still being played in spectator less stadiums

- I like the impromptu sing-alongs in Italy and Spain (for example) that are on the computer

- some of the songs people are putting together (to popular tunes) about the virus are so clever

- I believe people are wanting to be in contact more so will find ways to do so

- I'm appreciating the fact we live in the country, I can go for a walk and not see anyone outside of a car

- if we need to isolate, the internet has so many things we can look at and interact with

- I'm hoping to find time for crafts and reading books

I also realise people are struggling in so many ways. I don't know how much longer I will have employment, yes it concerns and scares me. I know my mental health issues don't take much to be triggered. I tried to make an appointment to see my Dr two weeks ago and was told his first free appointment was the end of October!

This virus sucks. For now I am trying to find ways to accept what is going on and find ways to move on.

Cheers from Dools

As of today I read 3 days - but I’m not sure who to believe

I hear you - I didn’t think thisCOVID thing would affect me but my anxiety levels are the highest they have been, especially at the thought of going shopping. I’d rather starve than go the a supermarket. My anger- omg - I’m normally a nice person but lately I’ve been nasty.

Im angry with myself for feeling this way - I always believe there is good in everyone - but I haven’t seen any good in anyone.

Smidge
Community Member

Hi all,

First time poster here. I have a history of anxiety and I'm really struggling with the current situation. I'm not worried about catching the virus. I am a little worried about myself or my 4 year old having the virus without symptoms and passing it on to my parents but we are keeping our distance for the time being.

My biggest stress at the moment is that my husband and I own a gymnastics club with approximately 1000 children per week attending our centre which currently remains open. We are following all guidelines set by the government and our governing sporting organisations and I am confident our centre is safer and cleaner than any school or shopping centre (which are all still operational). We have 25 staff relying on us to get through the next couple of months and keeping them in a job. Our attendance by our customers has been surprisingly good this week - 80-90% of our kids have come to classes. But our enrolments for the next school term are currently at around 40 - out of 980!

I don't know what I want to achieve from this post - maybe any advice on how deal with this constant stress and anxiety? dealing with the responsibility of 25 staff's livelihood relying on our actions? the devastation of having worked so hard for 3 years to build this club, put everything on the line, have done nothing wrong (we have a fantastic reputation in our community) and still we're at significant risk of losing it all - and have no control over it? Parents are scared to enrol their kids for next term because of the panic associated with the situation, and nothing we say is going to change their minds... but without their enrolments, we won't be there for them to come back to when this has all calmed down.

Thank you in advance for your help 🙂