FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Hi,

I've found that avoiding dodgy sites and talking to people really help- I also struggle with a lot of anxiety and depression. In my opinion, the media is exaggerating, and while yes, the Covid-19 pandemic is spreading throughout the world, China's numbers have slowly started to decrease after some countermeasures such as social distancing. If you're scared of contracting the virus, just practice good personal hygiene and think of the virus as a type of flu. The reason why so many doctors and health officials are worried is due to the rate that people can contract the disease as well as the fact that it is a novel virus, meaning we have little to no information regarding it and it's a new strain of this type of disease. On the bright side, the University of Queensland have begun to test their vaccine- while it may be a little longer until they can produce it, it's a big step in combating the virus. Also, while the WHO have stated that the death rate is 3.4%, it is most likely lower as only a select number of people who fit the criteria for testing have been tested.I really hope that your wedding will go ahead as planned, stay safe.

-Dakota

P.S. panic buying is also not advised

Honey_B
Community Member

I work in healthcare communications so avoiding the media is virtually impossible for me...but the media saturation of COVID-19 is really heightening my anxiety.

I’m trying to talk to my friends everyday, and video conferencing my colleagues really helps.

But the social distancing and self isolation isn’t helping my depression..it’s giving me another excuse to avoid social situations / anything that usually makes me feel better.

Any small tips on what you are doing to keep positive during this weird time is much appreciated.

Quirky words, thanks for your post. I think social media has a lot to answer for is spreading misinformation. I watched the National Press Club on ABC iview yesterday and it had a panel of three of Australia’s top medical science people who are the ones managing the coved virus here and I found it quite reassuring. I think if we follow their advice to keep a distance of 1.5 meters between us and sanitise our hands frequently we should be reasonably safe. I don’t want all social opportunities to be shut down because I would get really down if I couldn’t catch up with friends from time to time.

Hi Moonstruck, I know what you mean. I live in an over 50s community and we have been told to limit activities to 20 people. The Government says 100. I am trying to make sure we can still go to Happy Hour in the clubhouse as long as we follow the Government advice on gatherings. If I couldn’t see people at least once a week I would go crazy. I don’t think it’s necessary to be home 100% of the time unless you are required to isolate yourself. It’s the panic that is creating more social isolation.

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi everyone here,

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday who is a very experienced GP. He said the biggest problem is not simply the virus but also people panicking as a result of it and also stock hoarding.

This virus may be with us for quite a long time. The problem is that as it is a new virus, we do not have any immunity to it. It may be quite some time before a vaccine is available. In the meantime all that is being asked of you all is that you take reasonable and sensible precautions to help avoid spreading the virus to others, and to avoid catching it yourself. The fewer people who catch it the more chance it gives our hospitals to cope with the patient load.

Young and healthy people as I understand it often only get very mild symptoms, but anyone who has an underlying problem such as heart disease, immune problems, diabetes, or is older can become very sick. This means our heath care system will be overloaded unless you all help by doing what is asked of you, which is simply:

Wash your hands thoroughly and often with soap and use a hand sanitizer if you can. But soap and warm water is good!

Try to use spatial distancing, ie. stand or sit about 6 feet - or 1.5 metres - from another person. This is to help stop transfer of the virus via droplets.

Avoid large gatherings of over 100 people

Do work from home if you can, and avoid very crowded places, and yes you can go to the supermarket & go shopping but please only buy what you need.

If you think you are ill please phone your local doctor for advice and stay at home.

It is good to go out for a walk, eat healthy food, and not fret or panic. This is likely to be the new normal for some time.

I am going to my book club tonight, that is about ten people, that is fine. I am avoiding crowded cafes - instead I get a take away coffee - and if I buy say an ice cream I have it outdoors.

I understand people's anxiety, but it is important that you do your best to keep your spirits up and help others. Life throws up challenges and this is one of those times. So we need to boost our resilience by calming ourselves down, thinking more positively, avoiding over-exposure to the media. We are all in this together, world-wide, and we need to help lift each other's spirits and support each other and above all, stay calm. We will get through this much better if we all do.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Moon and everyone did you see this quote shell found.

"We are in the midst of a pandemic. But despite what they are saying on the news, COVID-19 is not the pandemic...
The pandemi(Source :

Super caring, health conscious Chris Wark) c is fear."

Moon I think the quote says it all. I can handle not having all the food I usually eat(as long as I have enough Tim Tams) but I find the way people fight over the last flour or packet of rice.

I suppose when we can not handle uncertainty as a society we start to panic and stockpile items.

Dakota thanks for your informative post.

Honey B if you read many of the posts on this thread you will find many positive ideas. People have mentioned music, watching a program you find funny, listening to sounds outside, also limiting news and social media reports, walking, staying in contact with people.

Gwenyth I think making sure that the virus does not spread and allowing us enough social interaction to help our mental health and not affect our physical health.

Hanna Thanks for your ideas. I think these sentences explains well what we need to do.

We are all in this together, world-wide, and we need to help lift each other's spirits and support each other and above all, stay calm. We will get through this much better if we all do.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

As Hanna said we will get through this much better if we all stay calm.

Quirky

Hi Juju1234, you're not alone. I feel the same anxiety and shame for being afraid, it even made me feel physically ill this morning.

I'm trying my best not to get upset, or anxious, and returned back to my daily meditation routine, which I had neglected in recent times due to having to work really long hours and having to dedicate the rest of my available time to sorting out other health issues. But now I find, more than ever, mental health is key. I know meditation takes practice, so it is not an overnight solution, so I'm also trying to read more books, watch movies that I enjoy, keep active, and reduce work stress and long hours. I am more mindful of my mental struggles than ever before, I know I worry about my family's health, and it is normal to worry about that, especially when my own immune system is low, and I would never ever want to pass anything to them. I have thought about moving out and isolating myself completely...but I know that's also only going to mean I won't be there to help and support them and in times like these we need to be with the ones we love, wherever possible. If my mind is well, my body too will respond in kind. And while we need to social distance, and hugs aren't encouraged, I
guess I'm settling for virtual hugs while my immune system gets boosted back to normal.

Follow expert advice. Look after your loved ones always.

I am trying not to burden my family with my anxiety, so I find myself at times in my room just wanting to cry, and I curl up in a ball trying to stop the fear from coursing through me... But reading comments on this forum, makes me realise it is okay to feel what I feel, and I pray all of us will get through this. Thanks for sharing your feelings, and thanks to Beyond blue for providing this forum as an outlet. I already feel better just writing down how I feel. I will continue to work on finding new routines and outlets for stress.

Gambit87
Community Member

I keep saying to myself

'These are unprecedented times'

'we are in this together - we will get through this'

'things will get better'

I do get kinda anxious at the thought of having to isolate/quarantine. I fully understand why etc and I am prepared for it. I try to avoid the media as its only adding fuel to the fire.

But mostly I get upset at all of the hoarding people are doing and seeing people not able to get things. I'm trying to steer clear of all that and just read about the random acts of kindness people are doing for each other.

We'll get through this!

Bellana
Community Member
I am keeping up to date with info, following all the recommendations and helpful advice found on forums like this. There is just one issue for me - sleep! All my life I have had issues getting to sleep and have done all the usual relaxation techniques etc. Normally it is not such an issue, but today, after 5 days of only 5 hours sleep per night I found myself in panicky mode. I have an underlying anxiety condition (treated with medication) but this morning caught me off guard. I was unable to go to work as a result. Are there ways of avoiding sleep deprivation symptoms when actual hours of sleep are low or is this an oxymoron? Thank you

lt's all the strangest situation l've ever lived that is for sure.

l'm sort of no worries where l am as far as any house boundness goes because l could at least walk for miles especially at night bc this towns all been inside this wk hardly see a soul but then the shear stillness makes it all just weird if you do go out for a walk.

yesterday my daughter and l went into our main small city that normally bussels away but very very quiet for sure add the vibe around my town , all very very strange isn't it. Guy next door was up on his roof hammering away all day though so that was damn nice , a bit of normal.

l feel bad for any of us living alone right now l must admit myself included , would be so nice to have some company in this .

rx