FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Hi Aunt Jobiska

Im sorry that you have an illness that you have to contend with especially during this awful time in our lives..With all respect can I ask why you loathe forums like this one?

I am only a humble volunteer with my own mental illness yet I can feel your pain and anguish where being angry and upset is concerned..

we are listening Aunt Jobiska and we dont bite!

Paul

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

Sigh, surely, it can’t just be me who‘s feeling low grade “cabin fever”...

I am sick of being (mostly) at home. I’m already feeling claustrophobic, on edge, & trapped...

I understand, adhere to, & respect the need for social distancing, but it’s really affecting my mental state. Much more than I would have anticipated, so even I’m surprised...

Just take care of yourselves and look out for each other as best you can, and as the situation evolves...

Kindness & care to all,

Pepper

Hi Pepper

I hear you loud and clear re the claustrophobic feeling....ugh!

Its been a 'good day' for myself as we are one day closer to be rid of this awful pathogen

Im surprised at myself too Pepper....My health professional mentioned today that I have 38 years of experience coping with mental health issues and "all he knows is the theory without the experience"

Me thinks that you are included in that comment too Pepper 🙂

always great to see you

Paul

Hi pepper I completely understand where you are coming from.I have no choice in the matter as i am required by law to stay at home until further notice.Their has been a good post going around on facebook that says Are grandparents were forced to shoulder arms and go to war and all we have to do is sit on our backside and watch tv.I think grandfather who went to ww1 and what he had to deal with being stuck in a muddy trench for weeks.It is all perspective.

Stay strong,

Take care,

Mark.

Guest_1055
Community Member

I read this following statement just now. And it just got me thinking is all..

"We are in the midst of a pandemic. But despite what they are saying on the news, COVID-19 is not the pandemic...
The pandemic is fear."

(Source : Super caring, health conscious Chris Wark)

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

It’s lovely to see everyone sharing, opening up & supporting each other here.

I hope it’s okay for me to just reply to some people who addressed me directly (waves to all):

Abbie: thank you, yes, I empathise with your feelings when it comes to the emotional toll of social distancing. Not being able to see my friends & family is hard.

But, I agree that this is a good space to connect & mutually support 🙂

Paul: thank you so much for the gentle encouragement & yes, I’m hopeful that containment &/or a cure or vaccine is on its way.

I like your mindset of “one day closer”...I’ll keep telling myself that...

I’m sorry to hear you’re feeling claustrophobic too, but I suppose at least we know that we aren’t alone in feeling this way...

Thanks again, & I hope you’re taking good care of yourself.

Thanks for all that you do on the forums. You are appreciated & respected 🙂

Matchy: that sounds very intense. Self isolation sounds full-on, as I know that demands complete isolation...at least with social distancing, you can still go out but we’re meant to limit it to only essential movement e.g. not being able to work from home.

True, that is a good reminder about perspective. Even though our feelings are valid, & unpleasant as it may be, people have been through worst things and survived. Thank you...

I suppose that I just have to remember, the more people who practise social distancing, the more we will be able to slow the spread & protect higher risk groups.

Thanks again 🙂

Kindness and care,

Pepper

Hello everyone,

Shell, that is so true the pandemic is the fear. The virus didn't cause all the shortages at the supermarket.

he various links on Beyond Blue are trying to promote calm and reason and focus on what we can do.

It is often said it is not what happens to us it is how re respond to things.

Pepper,

sorry you are feeling like you have cabin fever and self isolation is affecting your mental health.

Maybe I am confused but I think we can still see friends if they are healthy maybe one at a time and practice social distancing.

Thanks for your helpful responses to people.

I find shopping very stressful and only go when I need necessary items. As I don't drive I must walk there and back so I don't buy much.

I saw a show on tv where people were making up games to play at home. Anyone know any good ones to play alone or with another?

Quirky

Juju1234
Community Member

Thank you all for sharing, it's nice to know I am not alone in my feelings of anxiety and fear with everything that is happening. Here is my experience:

As a generally anxious person who has struggled with mental health issues my whole life, this is really taken a much greater toll on me than I could have anticipated. The greatest thing impacting me is that I am living with 3 other people in our house. Two of which are practically in denial about what is happening. "It's just a flu. You just need to stop stressing out so much" is dismissive and unhelpful. I have been waking up in the middle of the night due to panic attacks in my sleep. It's not something I am consciously controlling. If I could just magically switch off my anxiety like a light, I would.

Although I feel angry at my family for not being more supportive, I am also trying not to blame them because that might just be their coping mechanism and they are probably going through a whole lot of emotions themselves right now and I can't expect them to understand what I am experiencing. Sometimes, people just don't understand what you are going through, and in my experience, it's often the ones I love who just don't get it.

I have been doing my best to start implementing my self-care strategies like: taking 'time out' to check in with feelings and emotions and to dissociate from unhelpful thoughts and emotions.

Watching funny shows on TV, going out into the backyard garden and listening to the ambient sounds, connecting with my friends through chat, avoiding social media (although it's hard because of the compulsive need to stay informed) and doing some yoga and mindful breathing exercises.

I feel terrified, ashamed (for feeling so scared), alone, lost and heartbroken for those who are being affected. But I am trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel and remain hopeful for the future.

Thank you for letting me share. 🙂 It helps

Hello everyone.....my situation is..let's see.....I am feeling fine health-wise, so are my family. I am not afraid of catching the virus....my life has gone on much the same...except for as from now, some of my precious activities are now cancelled (due to the gatherings of more than 100) etc...and others that are shutting down ...just because...because why?

My mental health isn't at risk from the virus...it's at risk from the "fear and panic" ; the hysteria and constant bombardment from "THE MEDIA" that predicts the worst case scenarios they can muster up....huge headlines of disaster, spreading FEAR 24/7.....and then we watch our friends, neighbours and society in general "reacting" to that fear...(that should be "over reacting") and that fear is contagious in itself!!

People's reactions and media's incessant publishing photos of "empty shelves" promote more fear and panic buying. If there were no panic buying, there'd be no shortage....can't people see that?

No I am not afraid of the virus......it's the spreading gloom and doom, panic and FEAR that is the most dangerous virus......

welcome to everyone reading or thinking of posting or are posting,

juju welcome to the forum and this thread. As you know you are not alone here.

Thanks for honestly sharing your story and for giving us some tips that help ypu.

I agree funny shows on tv help so I avoid anything very dark and sad.

Please do not feel ashamed for feeling like many do.

If you want keep posting here as that's what this thread is for.

I think with all the social media and conflicting reports it can be so confusing.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Quirky