FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Hi Craft Dee (and indeed all reading here),

We know these are incredibly difficult times for everyone; we are saddened to hear of the impact on your wellbeing.

Please know things are going to get better and our community is here for you.

We're writing to you because we are worried and highly recommend reaching out to our Support Service anytime on 1300 22 4636 or web chat (3pm-midnight AEDT) or email. Alternatively, you could reach out to the Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467.

Please write back here and let us know how you are going when you feel ready.

Oh I love that idea of washing my hands being an act of love for myself and others - thanks for saying that!

You are NOT guilty and please do not turn on yourself!

I am spending a lot of time thinking about Covey's Circle of Control and Circle of Concern (from 7 Habits of Highly effective people)

Essentially, Stephen says there will always be a big circle in our lives filled with things we can't control yet are deeply concerned about (coronavirus, empty supermarket shelves, how long our lives will be like this ... ). We will get exhausted, frustrated and feel hopeless while we spend time in that circle.

There's another circle - the Circle of Control. yes it's smaller, but it's all we can do that will actually have an impact on our personal world ...

To keep myself in this Circle of Control, I'm doing things like:
Washing hands regularly
Minimising my contact people in the real world
Calling friends and colleagues
Having video chats
Praying
Meditating
Reading books I have long intended to read
Treating myself to a home facial / manicure / pedicure
Calling friends (again!)
NOT watching / reading news on TV, radio or social media. (At least limit it to 10 minutes, twice a day if you must)
Smiling at people (and usually getting one in return)
Asking older people I see in public if I can help them in any way
Doing my Paint By Numbers (yes, they do have them for adults - search online!) and my other craft work
Lying in my hammock, staring at the clouds and thinking of all the things I am grateful for

You've got the idea.

I'm not suggesting for a moment these ideas cure clinical depression, anxiety and other mental health conditions.

I am suggesting that when we look to take control over the things we can actually control, life does indeed seem a wee bit easier.

With love from someone who has experienced depression, anxiety and PTSD

I isolate my self at the best of times so am not worried about that.

What I am worried about is the hysteria and people going crazy. Coles stopped online ordering. I used to use it all the time since my anxiety prevented me from going into crowded places. I tired to the other day and ended up in a panic attack. I haven't stockpiled anything since I can't go near the shops. I know they dedicated an hour in the morning to the elderly and disabled which I think it a great idea, but what about the people that struggle to cope at the best of times in crowded places. It makes my anxiety worse. Even with prn's, deep breathing, having a comfort item, I still ended up in full panic attack mode.

People need to stop and think about others.

solation cannot come fast enough for me, I don't talk to and see anyone anyway so nothing will change.

abcdefghi
Community Member

Hi,

I have joined this website so I can feel more validated in what I am feeling and knowing that I am not the only person feeling this way. I am currently completing VCE in year 12, and this coronavirus outbreak has pushed my anxiety over the edge. I was diagnosed with GAD threeish years ago, and although it is always there it varies in how much it affects me. Because of the outbreak, I am concerned for myself, my friends and my family. I know that is is ver, very, very unlikely for this to harm me in a detrimental way, but my brain seems to make the worse of it. I have been bringing anti-bacterial wipes to school to sanitise my locker, lock, tables and chairs that I touch and sit on daily, I have hand sanitiser wash my hands regularly. Yesterday, my school had a year 12 assembly about how victorian schools are not going to be shut unless there is a confirmed case or someone had been in contact with a confirmed case, this stresses me out majorly to the point where I cannot physically go. I tried to go today, but got my mum to pick me up after an hour because of the amount of people who were around me and in fear that someone was sick. I have been given the same advice from my teachers, the same uncertainties and 'I don't know whats going to happen', and I need ways to manage the stress I get from this as I am in year 12 and have to have 90% attendance at school.

I have tried to do what I can to make myself more comfortable during this time, but I am honestly stuck on what else to do. I am scared to leave my house, I feel unsafe at school, I don't want to go to work, in fear that a customer I serve may have the virus and not know yet as testing is limited.

I need advice.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Me and my daughter have been put into self isolation as while we were at the doctors this afternoon they had a suspected case of the coronavirus.The practise has been locked down and everyone put into self isolation.Feeling scared.

Hi TenacityJane, where do you get the paint by numbers from? Online or from a store?

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello everyone...hugs 🤗..

Im sorry to hear that Matchy..and pray you, your daughter and everyone else is okay..

My Drs surgery has an isolation room, masks and gloves for anyone coming in who has a cough or thinks they have been in contact with someone who has it...

So far in the central west 5 cases have been confirmed and isolated into the hospital....

Please try not to think negative about this...Many people have had it and recovered from it..I heard on the news today that they are starting trials with what the professionals think is a helpful vaccine for this dreaded virus...let’s pray that this vaccine works..

Hello Idgie...I Hope Tenacity Jane doesn’t mind me letting you know that their are some great apps for painting by numbers..in the App Store or google play..I have a few of them and do them when I’m down....

I live in a tiny village, and have to go to the bigger town 35 kilometres (2,000 residents)... to shop...There is not much hysteria out here..but the shelves are getting empty..I find it hard to go to the shops..after work I did yesterday and no toilet paper..and I only have 2 rolls left..I wished so much that people were not so panicky..I think the bigger city shops are getting more stock delivered first..before the smaller country towns..

Please everyone stay safe..wash your hands regularly when you go out....and stay hydrated with water..

Grandy..

quince
Community Member

Hey all,

I'm feeling a little worried about the potential for not being able to see MH professionals (eg psychologist). I read earlier that there are provisions for Telehealth services being able to replace face to face under MH care plans - does this mean that your regular psychologist will be able to to claim the Medicare rebates for providing their services online?

What happens if they are not equipped or willing to do this?

I also feel like if there's any need to see a GP (eg for MH care plan renewal), it's a total waste of their time. Does anyone have thoughts?

Sorry if this seems like an anxious rant.

Here's some positivity:

What thoughts are helpful for you at the moment?

We're all in this together. We are resilient and will ultimately help each other where we can.

What are you doing to remain connected?

Inviting friends for online hangs via FaceTime, Zoom etc. Engaging in conversations with people on social media where it feels productive - eg tips to look after yourself, feed yourself etc.

How are you taking care of yourself and others?

Checking in with friends/loved ones that are in isolation, keeping up with exercise and self care, looking to engage in creative pursuits.

What are you finding helpful in reducing your anxiety during this time?

Talking with close people about decisions, talking with friends about things other than COVID-19, having a laugh, keeping things as normal as possible.

Hi BillieIndigo

I would just like to say a big THANK YOU to you for working in the health care sector. I don’t doubt that it’s hard, and stressful, and difficult to get a break from this Coronavirus thing. There are a lot of people on this forum who could offer better advice than me. But the fact that you are working in the field and you are there helping others when they need it means a lot, to us and to them. Thank you.