FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks Hanna i found him ok and there is some good information for people and the government should be listening to him.

Take care,

Mark

Gambit87
Community Member

Hi everyone,

Answering the questions.

- What thoughts are helpful for you at the moment?

We will get through this. These are unprecedented times something we haven't seen before (probably since WW2) but we will get through this.

- What are you doing to remain connected?

I'm doing what I normally do in my normal day to day. Keeping in contact with friends/family.

- How are you taking care of yourself and others?

Practicing good hygiene, making sure I cover my mouth etc. I make sure I buy only what I need from the shops and only buy a little bit at a time.

- What are you finding helpful in reducing your anxiety during this time?

Keeping away from all of the coronavirus talk, making sure I only read from trusted sources.

remembering that we will get through this.

talking to my loved ones

keeping up with my taekwondo and poker.

On a personal note -

I'm starting to get a bit anxious about going into lockdown/quarantine. My taekwondo and poker games help keep me grounded. I don't really know what to do if im unable to do them for a period of time. I need to get out and about as being couped up really effects my mental state.

I totally understand why things like travel restrictions and lockdown/quarantine are needed and totally support it to keep the spread of coronavirus to a minimum.

BillieIndigo
Community Member

I am really grateful for this thread.

I’m a uni student in a health profession, I work in public hospitals treating patients 3 days a week and go to classes the other days. I feel like I can’t switch off from covid-19. At the hospitals from staff and patients, at uni, at home... it’s just constant talk. Otherwise I have friends and family contacting for advice. Of course I am extremely anxious about it all, but I try to act like I’m strong. My medical knowledge is making this much harder to deal with. You know the saying that ignorance is bliss! I feel pressure not to show any kind of fear or weakness or to admit that I’m falling apart emotionally. Not amongst my peers, nor at home. I feel extremely alone in this situation. Even though we are all in it, I guess there is so much variety of personal responses, beliefs, opinions and that makes it all feel so uncertain.
I find that a part of me is actually eagerly wanting a shutdown, just to put an end to all the uncertainty and waiting and have a clearer stance on what to do.

Guest_9043
Community Member
I actually haven't been paying any attention at all. An update maybe now and then. Don't watch the news, don't read newspapers. Just doing more handwashing than usual and that's about it.

I got quite annoyed when the panic buying of toilet paper, tissues, roller towel and hand sanitizer started.

Then yesterday needed to go food shopping and I actually got severely depressed. Food shelves completely empty of things I needed and noticed that those specific things had been marked down. I felt really sick and depressed at the sight of it all.

Now I'm getting emails from companies about Covid 19 and what they are doing. I feel angry. This to me is beyond ridiculous. We are not in Italy. It's like I'm forced to live in a way I don't want to without my permission. Today I don't like the world I live in.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I am feeling anxious about coming into our winter.Will the virus just go wild?

BillieIndigo
Community Member

What thoughts are helpful to you at this time?
there are things I can control
I have a plan
I can take action
I’m proud of myself for being prepared and taking care of myself

what are you doing to remain connected?
Listening to podcasts (they feel like friends!)
Studying with friends 1:1 and remotely

How are you taking care of yourself and others?
Did online orders for both my grandmothers so they wouldn’t have to go out (they don’t know how to use the internet)
I prepared myself for a period of isolation, not just food and medicines but as I live alone I know I’ll need to prevent loneliness and depression if I need to isolate. so I bought a bunch of new mystery novels, journals, craft and knitting supplies, magazines, and a yoga mat for doing yoga. As a recovering alcoholic i resisted the urge to stock up on wine. If I need to isolate I am prepared with healthier tasks to cope so I don’t relapse with depression or alcohol

What are you finding helpful in reducing your anxiety during this time?
Reminding myself that I have gotten through hard times before, we all have
Change is scary, but we can adapt, we can take whatever comes. We may not like it, but we can get through it together
The power of acts of kindness! Focusing on all the kind acts I’m seeing around the place and thinking about how I can do the same, such as donating things I don’t need to my neighbours

nautilass
Community Member

Hi all,

First timer here. This coronavirus issue means different things for me and my family than what is generally being put out there. I unfortunately had to quit my job 2 weeks ago due to an injury outside work. I work in a tourist town and there are no prospects at all. My husband works away sporadically and is due to go overseas for a month next week - most likely won't happen. We are relying on him going away so we can pay the mortgage - if he doesn't, we can't. We can't ask the bank for assistance as we have used our one chance to suspend mortgage/credit card/loan repayments when my hubby was out of work a few years back. Then we got a break after cyclone Debbie and they did it again, but I'm not feeling hopeful this time.

There is so much more to it which I won't bore you with now, but to anyone out there who is suffering - or about to suffer - financially from this, my thoughts are with you. I am frankly terrified, not sleeping, and grateful I am already on meds for depression or I think I may end up in a pretty bad place soon if nothing changes. Too much unknown, and for a control freak like me it's no fun!! lol

Hello Everyone

So many of you have asked if all the information is correct or genuine. People have also expressed the feeling they are not being kept informed. May I suggest a couple of things.

1. Only read information and updates from good sources. The colleague at work or the neighbour down the road does not necessarily have all the information or the correct information. Go to the various govt websites and read about it all.
  2. Take sensible precautions such as hand washing, covering up when sneezing, eating properly. Avoiding people or situations will only add to your anxiety and may put you in a worse position.Closing schools may sound good but what are the students going to do? They will still be out in public with their mates and with a greater chance of spreading the virus. Parents will need to stay home to care for them which means they may not get paid. What will happen if the childcare centres also close down?
  3. Inevitably some people will be hit harder by the flow-on effect. We can do little to stop this but we can keep tabs on our neighbours and offer a helping hand, make sure they are well etc. No need for direct contact but a phone call to ask how someone is going would be great.
  4. The difference between this pandemic and the recent fires and floods is that we could see what was happening with the latter. We cannot see a viral pandemic so naturally we worry about the illness being passed on.

I hope that helps someone. I am concerned that my reduced immune system may not stand up to the strain so I need to take reasonable precautions but spending my time worrying will not help. I prefer to continue with the activities I can do, keep myself occupied, keep in contact with my family. Will I remain well? I have no idea but I will try my best.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone who is unwell and all those who are trying to keep us well.

Mary

Mariasharapovafan1
Community Member
It's been 4 years since I was feeling down. Now the coronavirus has taken over the world and is making me feel very depressed and there is confusion and panic about the virus. While the virus is hitting the world I'm never really happy anymore and I just feel haunted. Now when I go to the supermarkets, the shelves are now almost empty. I get the feeling I don't know what to do anymore. This should not go on. I used to enjoy life as I pleased but now I don't enjoy anything. It feels like the world is now going to end. I'm now in so much doubt and I've now become the same as 4 years ago. I'm disinterested, depressed and self-loathing. I hate myself. I feel very guilty. Now I feel there is no escape. I feel left out.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I just had an email from my Veterinary practise saying that their is no reported cases of the virus in pets and they cannot catch it from them.