FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
My son just got sent home for touching his nose and not washing his hands.So now got to try him understand which is going to be so hard.

uncut_gems
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi All,

Hope everyone is taking care of themselves, their loved ones, and strangers in this weird time! I just wanted to call attention to the fact that the government's Better Access Scheme under Medicare now allows bulk-billing of remotely delivered services in some cases!

From https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2020/03/covid-19-national-health-plan-primar...:

Why is this important?
The new MBS items will allow people to access essential health services in their home while they undergo selfisolation or quarantine, and reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19 for vulnerable people in the community.
This is a temporary six-month measure. Should the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC)
recommend an extension, it will be considered by the Government.
Who benefits?
Telehealth services will be available to:
 people isolating themselves at home on the advice of a medical practitioner, in accordance with home
isolation guidance issued by the AHPPC, and people who meet the current national triage protocol
criteria for suspected COVID-19 infection after consultation with either the national COVID-19 hotline,
state COVID-19 hotlines, registered medical or nursing practitioner or COVID-19 trained health clinic
triage staff
 people aged over 70
 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged over 50
 people with chronic health conditions or who are immunocompromised
 parents with new babies and people who are pregnant.
People in isolation or quarantine for COVID-19 can see any eligible health provider through new telehealth
items. Patients in vulnerable groups can additionally see a health provider via telehealth for a non-COVID-19
matter if they have seen that provider face-to-face at least once in the previous 12 months

Nurse_Jenn
Community Member

Hi all,

I hope all forum members are getting through this really difficult time. I have heard on this thread and on many other social media pages the vast sources of information and 'mis-information' being presented. It is really difficult to navigate. Below are a few links to both the Australia Department of Health which has many current fact sheets as well as the World Health Organisation (WHO) which offers a Frequently Asked Questions about COVID19 or coronavirus. See links below.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-co...

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

I really enjoy reading about the positive things that people are planning in this unusual time. Reducing public contact can be inconvenient but can also be highly productive. I am hoping to purchase some paint and start the a few walls in my home as I have been putting it off for ages.

Sending everyone strength.

Nurse Jenn

All people who are on a DSP or any other old age pension in one way or another are allowed into Safeway and perhaps other supermarkets at 6 am to purchase essential items and avoid not only the rush nor the crowds but get the items (toilet paper) they desperately need.

Check with your local supermarket.

Geoff.

Thank you to all of those contributing to this thread, it is important we continue sharing in ways that are helpful for one another. 

A big thank you to Nurse Jenn for sharing some important resources above! Beyond Blue will be releasing additional resources this week that you may also find useful. We'll share them here in this thread, our website, and on our social media channels. 

It may be helpful to answer some of the following questions:
  • What thoughts are helpful for you at the moment?
  • What are you doing to remain connected?
  • How are you taking care of yourself and others?
  • What are you finding helpful in reducing your anxiety during this time?

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Geoff Woolworths is opening an hour early at 7am for pensioners as well

Hello all.

lot of people are writing here so discussion is helpful.

will answer Sophies questiondsand hope others will too if they want to.

What thoughts are helpful for you at the moment?

I find focussing on one source and looking at the positive things.

What are you doing to remain connected?

I find communication on this forum, staying in touch with friends and family.

How are you taking care of yourself and others?

I am eating healthily, walking and doing exercises at home I found for my age group on you tube. No need for a gym and I can doo them in ten or 15 minute intervals.

I am contacting elderly relatives and friends.

What are you finding helpful in reducing your anxiety during this time?

I find reading information on Beyond Blue , listening to music, keep a journal, and writing blogs and shirt stories and poems all help.

So have a go at answering all or some of the question, if you like, and it will help us pool information and help each other.

l've had a mind bending day actually between work and some things with ex for my daughter all afternoon and some other heavy phone calls so l'm been planning a bath, music and blackness, - no lights.

Hi all,

Personally on twitter I follow @normanswan for sound advice on the covid19 virus here in Australia

Hey Hanna & all

who is normanswan?.....any info can always help 🙂