FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Beav, welcome to the forum. You pose an interesting question.

Gambit I don't think you are selfish .You have worked a long time to enjoy your LSL. Well done.

Matchy, It is not the number of people who have been diagnosed is the unpredictable mature of what happens next. Italy was where were a while ago and look at their statistics now.

Patience Bay thanks for your helpful comments and welcome to the forum.

Tthink the govt is preparing for the worst while hoping for the best.

Thanks everyone for you comments here.

Jamzies
Community Member

Hi to all reading,

Might as well provide a different perspective as a student still in secondary. After an evening reading through an excess of news articles (which I definitely shouldn't have), parents have decided to keep myself and my younger sister for the next 2 days - 16th and 17th.

Did anyone catch that Facebook post from a doctor earlier this evening? People have mixed arguments; some dismissing it as stupid while others are praising it. I'll avoid further controversy by not discussing any further, but I could expect some criticism on staying home even when my school hasn't been closed.

Even now I cannot decide whether this is a good idea or not. I sound like I'm falling for a fearmongering post that doesn't even make sense. I guess we'll have to hold our breath for relief.

JZ

girl_interrupted
Community Member

This is a great forum discussion topic, especially in light of all the media hype. It's been hard not to get completely overwhelmed and caught up in it all. The amount of fear mongering and propaganda is really quite scary. I worry about my elderly parents becoming ill and also some of the people I work with, who are more susceptible. I'm trying to educate myself more and research information from reliable sources rather than just believe the first thing that pops up on the news feed. The whole thing has got me really down so I've switched off my media feed for a while for my mental health, but I'm having withdrawals already LOL. I think I would cope ok in quarantine as long as I had contact with my family and the outside world. Take care everyone.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Everyone, this epidemic or outbreak has affected all of us in so many ways and it's a disease which we haven't had to deal with, now it's worldwide.

N

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello to Everyone, I'm not sure whether my last reply will appear as I touched a key and off it went, but to follow on there are many questions that still need to be answered:

-what will banks do if you are unable to make a repayment (excluding automatic), say credit cards, by going into the bank

-what about a wedding that's been planned for a long time

-and if somebody close to you passes away, what happens to the funeral

-will the PM'S decision not to shake hands be a question our great/grandkids will be asking why not in the future

-more importantly what if our psych doesn't want to see you, then perhaps phone or internet needs to be made available

Look after yourself.

Geoff.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi geoff thanks for your post.They are certainly questions i have been asking.A couple of years ago i went to a funeral with 2000 people at it,now that wouldnt be allowed today.What about large shopping centres ect.When will all this end and their is no answer to that question.My daughter is seeing her psychologist wednseday and i am hoping it wont get canceled.It is impossible for me to get into my GP at the moment.Everything is effected and seems like a completely different world we live in at the moment.Lets hope a cure a vaccine is found quick.

PatienceBay
Community Member

Hi Community,

I've now removed all alcohol from my fridge, to reduce that temptation to enjoy a 'relaxing' drink during these challenging times.

I can think of many good reasons not to drink alcohol over the coming weeks. Here are a few:

- I need to maintain very close awareness of my personal hygiene

- We're in a rapidly evolving situation, and I process new information much better with no alcohol in my system

- I owe it to my family and friends to bring the best version of myself to every interaction now. We need each other.

- Some strangers I interact with are going to be stressed, scared, confused or angry. I can much better navigate potentially difficult interactions when I am completely sober.

- I want to follow directions from authority figures promptly and accurately. For my own health and wellbeing, but also for the good of the whole community.

- Without alcohol, I'll be more aware of any changes in my own symptoms and health. I would hate to put myself in a situation where, for example, I was uncertain whether my headache was hangover or viral.

For similar reasons, I'm limiting my caffeine intake. It makes me a little more tense and reactive than usual, and that's not wanted right now.

With wise choices, I know I can make the best of each situation. My sleep hygiene is the next thing on the list...

Hello PatienceBay, I've just got home after being to the supermarket, most of all the important products have been bought, the shelves are bare, no milk, little meat to purchase and the list could go on, so supply and demand are out of balance.

I'm pleased that you've stopped drinking because the same situation might happen with alcohol, and when it does, people do change for the worst.

The points you have mentioned are excellent and will also affect many other people in a similar way as their attitude will be different towards situations they have to face.

To drink to relax is different than drinking because you're addicted to it and now you will notice the change in yourself so well done.

Can I ask if you have given up before as I too haven't had a drink for 4 months.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

calmseeker
Community Member

Hi All,

It would be helpful when the experts can agree on 'how long the corona virus can remain on objects and surfaces'. I have heard some UK sources say 5 hours and then some US sources say 7-9 days! Vastly different opinions.

Hope all forum members are well and having some luck finding loo paper 🙂

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi all I dropped my kids off at school today,my daughter at the gate and my son i walked him in and the teacher stopped us and asked me if my son had a cough or runny nose and things so he was allowed in and problems with him.Later that morning my ex gets a phone call from the high school saying they heard her coughing and has to go home and now not allowed at school for the moment.Which is fair enough.I do not know yet if she or any of us have to be tested or my son is allowed at school.