FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Constant urge to do my bit

Mental_Peace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Since several years, I have had this constant feeling that I want to do more and do my bit to help out the needy and those who cannot stand up for themselves. I am always on the look out of like-minded people who would be able to share how they help out in the community and actively support the causes that are close to them. This feeling of mine is quite strong and often makes me feel helpless that I am not able to support people who may need me. I often help out with donations but I feel the world needs more of it which again brings me back to the feeling of being helpless.

Are there any of you in a similar mind space? Would really like it if you could please share your experiences.

Many thanks!

11 Replies 11

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Mental_Peace,

Welcome to the community and thank you for joining us. You're absolutely in the right space here as this is a peer support forum so a lot of members sharing their own experiences and helping others too.

I would absolutely call myself a helper; I volunteer, donate, advocate, shop with charities- I've always felt the need to do my bit too even if maybe I'm doing a little much! I can also relate to the feeling of helplessness sometimes; and as much as I try, sometimes helping out can be a bit of a sacrifice to my mental health.

While it can be hard to see the bigger picture, I have no doubt that the time, effort and money that you've put towards these causes is so beneficial in so many ways -

"If you think you are too small to make a difference, If you think you're too small to have an impact, try going to bed with a mosquito" - Dalai Lama

I hope that this is helpful and on track! I'd love to talk more if you like.

rt

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Mental_Peace

I think the need for community has really been highlighted during the covid situation, and it's wonderful you want to get more involved. As individuals we can all do our bit 🙂

Depending on where your interests lie, there are lots of ways you can connect in. I find a lot of groups through facebook. There are also lots of volunteer opportunities that you can find online if you just type into a search engine (volunteer, your area).

Do you have any specific areas of interest? Or is it more of a general feeling of wanting to do more?

Emmen
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Mental_Peace,

Welcome to the forums.

I used to have that same feelings too, to the point where I felt powerless and constantly upset. What helped for me was to volunteer where I can and also start accepting that I cannot help everyone. I needed to focus on the people I could help rather than those I couldn't.

I used to read up a lot about the problems in the world and such, and I feel that contributed to my feeling of helplessness. I've stopped seeking out articles that touch on those topics. It has helped me focus on the people and causes I can spend my time on now, instead of what I could be doing instead.

Hope this helps.

Kindly,
M

Mental_Peace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi M,

Thank you very much for sharing what helped you, much appreciated. You've very accurately described my feelings. Your response helped me and I would also try and focus on the causes that are most dear to me.

Radhika

Hi Katyonthehamsterwheel,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I do have specific areas of interest where I want to help but I do easily get upset if I see someone needing help, vulnerable, especially young kids, women going through abuse, trying to cut through patriarchy..I am driven to help vulnerable kids without families or those who don’t receive the necessary care and support for their upbringing. I have approached a few NGOs but unfortunately, due to Covid, I am not receiving much response.

Hi rt,

Thanks very much for your warm message. I feel so relieved to have met like-minded members here who can understand me and my feelings. It is indeed mentally draining sometimes to always think and look for ways to help but your words and the quote has put me on the right track again..mentally.

Thank you once again.

Hi Mental_Peace

Yes, there are definitely a lot of people that need help, and structures in society that need dismantling, but it's no small feat. As a person who obviously has a lot of empathy, you need to ensure you take care of yourself too.

One of the simplest things we can do, that isn't affected by covid, is to spread awareness. That helps get other people on board. You can follow the causes that you're interested in and spread their message on your socials. Just one idea, anyway.

All the best. Katy

Guest_4643
Community Member

Hey Mental_Peace, welcome to the forums.

Thank you for being a kind person like that.

Thank you for your kind words and warm welcome 🙂