FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Bushfires

Yarraman
Community Member
It's hard for me to turn on the tv at the moment as I can't seem to cope with all the bad fires. And I was an auxiliary firefighter and am a rural firefighter. I suffer from depression. I can't understand why this is affecting me this way. As it normally wouldn't. Hope all stay safe.
5 Replies 5

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Yarraman

Welcome to the forum, I am so pleased you have reached out at this really scary and horrific time for those effected by the fires directly and their loved ones. I can also hear how this is effecting you and I am so very sorry that you are feeling this way. I think as you are a firefighter you can empathise with what these amazing men and women are doing at the front of these fires and risking their lives to protect others lives and property. I don't think I have ever seen this much damage and the enormity of these fires is very overwhelming to me too, and I cant even begin to imagine how it would be for those fighting it, hour after hour..for days...you only know too well so maybe this particular one has impacted you more so.

I too hope that the people fighting are safe and they can return to their loved ones after all their amazing and brave work.

Thank you for your service and for playing your role in protecting our communities Yarraman. Big hugs to you at this very difficult time and I hope that you can come back to chat in this supportive and warm family we have here, welcome.

Hugs

AS

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Yarraman,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your post.

Honestly I'd be surprised if this stuff on TV didn't affect you; I'm not a firefighter and it even affects me - footage after footage of distressing images.

I know that this fire is a big one; do you think that might play a part in why it's affecting you where as the others' wouldn't? With the TV everything is quite in your face and it's not all contained at the moment which I imagine makes things worse.

I hope that you find support through these forums and I hope everyone stays safe too.

RT

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Yarraman,

Welcome to the community here. As RT and AS have mentioned, the bushfires are horrendous and I am sure they are affecting many people.

A few years ago we moved to a rural area and I joined the local volunteer fire service for 5 years. During that time I saw how local fires and events elsewhere affected the men and women of our brigade and how the fires affected people of the community.

I would like to ask if your brigade has a support person or support team as I know our region has a team of mental health people to assist with issues and traumas.

If you don't feel comfortable contacting them, maybe you could try talking to someone at Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Life Line. People here will be supportive as well.

I'm wondering if you are feeling the effects of the fires to a greater extent due to your own personal experiences? For those who have fought fires, the reality of what is happening is so much more heightened.

I'm certainly no expert, but I know when I am depressed events take on a greater significance, and usually not in a positive way.

Please know you are more than welcome to share your thoughts and feelings here if you feel comfortable doing so.

Cheers from Dools

Donnabalnor
Community Member
HI I understand the fires are so bad I could not live near the bush switch off when it comes on the news thinking of all that are out there risking all to just put the fires out please let them stay safe houses can be rebuilt not lives

MyLadyGirl
Community Member
yes the bushfire seems upsetting and what you are doing to fight the fires well hats on you for the brave works that you are doing. We all just needs to be safe and my prayers are all the living things that's happening and hope all will be over soon.