Staying well

Support each other to stay well, from mindfulness, sleep, diet and exercise to reducing drug and alcohol use and coping with difficult emotions.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Just Sara A Bouquet for Pearls - share your appreciation for other members
  • replies: 715

Every now and then, members share a beautiful Pearl of Wisdom. How often do you think to yourself; "OMG that's great! I wish everyone could see this." Presenting someone with a bunch of flowers is a generous way of acknowledging their insightful word... View more

Every now and then, members share a beautiful Pearl of Wisdom. How often do you think to yourself; "OMG that's great! I wish everyone could see this." Presenting someone with a bunch of flowers is a generous way of acknowledging their insightful words. I hope this thread stays active through members giving out praise regularly to people they feel deserving, and therefore keep generosity of spirit alive within the pages of BeyondBlue Forum. My bunch of Red Roses (my choice) goes to Wishful for the following sentence; 'Personally, I see no reason to be praised in me, but I'm learning that seeing through the eyes of others can be more accurate!!' I so hear you Wishful. Just beautiful... Try to keep your leading comments short to focus on 'their' words. Choose specific flowers (or a gift if you like) to present to them. Sign off respectfully and sincerely. I hope this takes off... Spreading the love...Sara

All discussions

lookingforme Something New
  • replies: 2

I've recently had to deal with leaving my psychologist, move countries to live with my parents because I simply don't have anywhere to go, to look for a job in a different country because I can't live here. While I was in Australia, I looked to this ... View more

I've recently had to deal with leaving my psychologist, move countries to live with my parents because I simply don't have anywhere to go, to look for a job in a different country because I can't live here. While I was in Australia, I looked to this community to help me through things, but maybe I have to vent more frequently now. As a result, I have started a blog. I wonder if I'm allowed to put the link up here, or if anyone would be interested to read it?

Chris_B Making an emergency care wall
  • replies: 1

Sharing with credit to the artist Chibird. What do you think? Do you have one of these? What would you put on it?

Sharing with credit to the artist Chibird. What do you think? Do you have one of these? What would you put on it?

Cakes something that is working for me
  • replies: 7

Hi there, This is my 1st time on here. I have been thinking about sharing a few things that are really working for me at the moment. Im 41years old a mother of 2 married. I have experienced depression.. anxiety and just general mood changes for a whi... View more

Hi there, This is my 1st time on here. I have been thinking about sharing a few things that are really working for me at the moment. Im 41years old a mother of 2 married. I have experienced depression.. anxiety and just general mood changes for a while.. on and off since I was a kid. I know that certain events or situations really tip me over.. but now Im a bit older I can recognise the signs and I can usually catch it in time! The one thing I do that generally keeps me well is exercise.. I know this is just the usual advice.. but I know for a fact.. i'm up on the days I exercise and if I go a few days week without my walk run etc.. I start to slip down that slope. So if you feel flat / low / anxious/ agitated.. get your shoes on and go outside for a walk run swim whatever just move for 20-30mins.. it will buy you some time! I have managed better with exercise than I ever did on medication... just me but just saying.. anyhoo.. I hope you are all having a good day and I'd love to chat on here sometime. See ya

Warren_B Using humour as a pick-me-up
  • replies: 1

One of the ways I pick myself up is by using humour. (I've also used it to try to pick up other people, but that's another story...) So I was interested to know whether other people also use humour, either humour created by other people or self-creat... View more

One of the ways I pick myself up is by using humour. (I've also used it to try to pick up other people, but that's another story...) So I was interested to know whether other people also use humour, either humour created by other people or self-created humour. (Sometimes its easier to turn ourselves on...). Humour can be a hard balance, because you don't want to offend people but I quite enjoy the word play you see used by advertisers where there are multiple meanings. Then you can act all innocent if someone gets offended. Just as an example, in a Share Point post about mental health that I added in the very large organisation I work in, I recently quoted the following lines from the old Smokie song: Something's been making me blue; And somehow I can't talk it over with you. There were three different meanings of the word 'blue' I was using in those quoted lines: 1. I knew I had some kind of mental health problem including the 'blues' (depression) but wasn't sure what it was at the time. Just this week, I received a bipolar diagnosis and am possibly on the Autism Spectrum Disorder as well. 2. My mental health problems and some other factors were causing me to 'blue' (argue) a lot with other colleagues. 3. 'Blue' also refers to adult movies etc ('blue movies') so I put some innuendo in the background in the post,which people always enjoy and advertisers often use a lot. I also write fairly lame jokes, like the following knock knock joke: Knock knock Who's there? Empathy Empathy who? Who cares? I care And then, once I'm sick of my own lame humour, I turn to the professionals, like the great Robin Williams. I'm just about to watch a DVD of one of his stand-up jokes tonight. The back of the DVD talks about Robin Williams (who we knew had some mental health issues) having, in this performance, "pranced, flounced, minced, pounced, zigzagged, hip-hopped, whirled and twirled, talking nonstop about everything fro surgically enhanced breasts to the great anthrax scare". Sounds exactly like a few of the manic episodes I had a few weeks ago before the meds started calming me down a bit. Anyhow, I'm interested to know whether humour helps other people with their blues as well. We won't all have the same taste in jokes (particularly the 'adult blue' ones...) but I think humour is something that can be helpful for everyone. It lifts our moods, and that can only be a good thing, right?

Zan LIVING ALONE WITH NO SUPPORT NETWORK.
  • replies: 4

Life's a funny thing. Hilarious actually. (Don't know who's laughing though). A lot of us, even those like my self, who also carry the extra burden of a mental disability, and/or depression, and/or anxiety, and/or PTSD, and/or bipolar, and/or brain t... View more

Life's a funny thing. Hilarious actually. (Don't know who's laughing though). A lot of us, even those like my self, who also carry the extra burden of a mental disability, and/or depression, and/or anxiety, and/or PTSD, and/or bipolar, and/or brain trauma ... still think we are strong enough to do it all on our own (with the occasional or regular trip to see our treating physician, counselor or shrink), or at least get by, day by day by day -- year by year by year. We've built our "nest" in order to "feel" safe, somewhere we "feel" the most peaceful, and have incorporated into that comfort zone various animal companions or companion animals ... usually suggested as beneficial to our healing process by either our our treating physician, counselor or shrink somewhere along the way ... and in this we still believe we can manage to do it all on our own, or at least get by -- day by day by day -- year by year by year. We might even go on-line to find some "extra" assistance or just a boost, or to vent ... and we still believe we can manage to do it all on our own, or at least get by -- day by day by day -- year by year by year. But what happens when we "crash"? Who is there when we injure ourselves and can no longer do it all on our own, or at least get by -- not even for a single day? I'm facing this horrible thought right now, ever since I tore a ligament in my knee and shattered my cartilage. If I had to be hospitalized who would look after my animal companions? Would I even have a 'home' to return to if I was so incapacitated that I had to be cared for in some unknown, sterile, noisy, busy impersonal facility? Is there even such a thing as "community support" in remote rural Australia? Questions that I had never considered before are now forming in my head. Is it getting closer to that time of having to seriously consider moving into a town or city suburb where the amenities and care facilities are all located? Aarrggghhhh -- just the thought horrifies me! So I simply ignore the inevitable and kid myself that I can still manage to do it all on my own, or at least get by -- day by day by day -- year by year by year ---- and hope (lovingly) that at least I outlive my animal companions before having to make that horrible decision.

TWLOHA_4_LIFE sleep struggles.. why can't I sleep?
  • replies: 9

Hey everyone. So I'm hoping someone might be able to sleep. For the past few years now I have struggled with sleeping, whether it be trouble getting to sleep, broken sleep or just no sleep at all sometimes and I'm wondering if anyone had any techniqu... View more

Hey everyone. So I'm hoping someone might be able to sleep. For the past few years now I have struggled with sleeping, whether it be trouble getting to sleep, broken sleep or just no sleep at all sometimes and I'm wondering if anyone had any techniques at getting a decent nights sleep? Any help would be great! thank you

katos positive energy
  • replies: 11

My tip for staying well when suffering from anxiety and depression- channel your energies into something positive , find something that moves you, help others, build a cause. After the death of my son to suicide i founbd that i had to make something ... View more

My tip for staying well when suffering from anxiety and depression- channel your energies into something positive , find something that moves you, help others, build a cause. After the death of my son to suicide i founbd that i had to make something good come out of the tradgedy, i wanted a legacy that would honour my son. So I became a volunteer for beyondblue and lifeline and with their support and the team from the blackdog institute I arrange mental health presentations and travel to schools and talk to the students. Over the last three years i have spoken to thousands of our youth and many have been helped. This has given me impetus in my life, something to strive and work for. In this I have found a true legacy for my son, i have found help for my depression and most importantly - have made a difference and helped others.

Zan STAYING WELL - OR - STAYING ALIVE?
  • replies: 5

Staying well? Come one -- if we've all got a diagnosed mental condition such as Depression or Anxiety Disorder or PTSD or Bi-Polar, we're hardly going to be "staying well" are we? So lets skip the "niceties" shall we and get down to the point that no... View more

Staying well? Come one -- if we've all got a diagnosed mental condition such as Depression or Anxiety Disorder or PTSD or Bi-Polar, we're hardly going to be "staying well" are we? So lets skip the "niceties" shall we and get down to the point that no one here wants anyone to do anything that prevents them from "staying alive". So really the whole question is, what keeps us "going" when all of those horrible forces come in at all sides and totally overwhelm us? I've found sleeping to be the best option -- in fact I think nature almost puts that thought, or desire to sleep, front and centre in our heads in times of greatest trauma and stress. If one observes nature it's easy to see that the injured/sick animal always seeks out that dark safe place in order to heal. It's just that with our modern society being so far removed from nature, with all of its lights brightened, plastic, cement coated, manicured and out-of-place gardens etc, that we have lost that concept, and now many so-called intellectuals and professionals actually believe that sleeping is an escape, or wrong, or giving in. Yeah right - so nature is wrong and modern consumerist Big-Pharma capitalist market driven thought is correct? Huh! I'll take the nature any day, thank you very much! Another "life saving" method is to go on a walk - if able, or take a bus/train to a park and sit in peace and quiet (again the "nature" approach). Me, I'm more fortunate than most in that, as five world heritage National Parks are at my very doorstep. Music or comedy is another --- and singing or making music or laughing is even better. .Just do one, or all --- and stay alive. Tomorrow is another BRAND NEW DAY, and one never knows what it will bring.

Chris_B Are you a sufferer?
  • replies: 11

Do you describe yourself as suffering from a mental illness? Do you feel that this accurately reflects your experience, or do you feel it is a negative label that disempowers you from taking steps to stay well?

Do you describe yourself as suffering from a mental illness? Do you feel that this accurately reflects your experience, or do you feel it is a negative label that disempowers you from taking steps to stay well?

white knight Smoke and mirrors- its not real
  • replies: 4

Our mind plays tricks on us. Apart from causing us to get emotional for no good reason, get angry, be out of control...we see other people being against us. Our enemies are numerous, seemingly compared to other peoples issues with friends and family ... View more

Our mind plays tricks on us. Apart from causing us to get emotional for no good reason, get angry, be out of control...we see other people being against us. Our enemies are numerous, seemingly compared to other peoples issues with friends and family or even strangers. The world is against us, the mentally ill, the "world" surely is only humans for a world without humans we wouldnt have this internal conflict at all. How many times in your life you have disliked a person intensely only to become close friends later on or visa-versa. And as some of us over react to situations, a symptom of our illness (highs or lows and not much in between) we often have regrets as to our actions. A wise man said to me once- "I dont judge anyone for 6 months because I often regret it. I dont know them until that period ends". Just like many of us have highs and lows, thoughts nudging extremes most times are the same. I call them "smoke and mirrors". I dont know about you but I have a tendency to fall out with others more regularly than Mr average Joe Blow. And blame myself. But many times over the years I've blamed myself when later on down the track that same person has fallen out with my friends on the same issues. Which brings me to my point of this thread. We dont know most times if a friend or acquaintance has their own issues/demons to deal with. Many people wont air horn it to the world (as I tend to do). And other issues they might have like physical health issues, family issues, work, environment issues. What about lingering upbringing issues, personality traits...even persona that is different to many of us but normal thinking from the country of their birth? We need to do a few things. Wisdom comes over time. Ageing, even with mental illness gives us more wisdom from experience. To accept the possibility that the person you are in conflict with might be aggressive (for example) because he is not in a good place for some reason is for you to give him/her that benefit of the doubt just like you would like someone give to you. It isnt all about us. It is about others as well. Some, depending on the severity of their actions that hurt you, can be discarded for your own self protection. Others, as you might find after you've known them for at least 6 months, might end up your best friend because you did one vital, wise and positive thing......you forgave them in the hope that the true person hadnt emerged. Sometimes the benefit of the doubt is warranted. Tony WK