Staying well

Support each other to stay well, from mindfulness, sleep, diet and exercise to reducing drug and alcohol use and coping with difficult emotions.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Just Sara A Bouquet for Pearls - share your appreciation for other members
  • replies: 715

Every now and then, members share a beautiful Pearl of Wisdom. How often do you think to yourself; "OMG that's great! I wish everyone could see this." Presenting someone with a bunch of flowers is a generous way of acknowledging their insightful word... View more

Every now and then, members share a beautiful Pearl of Wisdom. How often do you think to yourself; "OMG that's great! I wish everyone could see this." Presenting someone with a bunch of flowers is a generous way of acknowledging their insightful words. I hope this thread stays active through members giving out praise regularly to people they feel deserving, and therefore keep generosity of spirit alive within the pages of BeyondBlue Forum. My bunch of Red Roses (my choice) goes to Wishful for the following sentence; 'Personally, I see no reason to be praised in me, but I'm learning that seeing through the eyes of others can be more accurate!!' I so hear you Wishful. Just beautiful... Try to keep your leading comments short to focus on 'their' words. Choose specific flowers (or a gift if you like) to present to them. Sign off respectfully and sincerely. I hope this takes off... Spreading the love...Sara

All discussions

Egg_Head Help with sleep needed
  • replies: 15

Hi fellow member, I'm in the 60 plus age group and have had chronic depression and anxiety for over ten years now, whilst my symptoms are mostly under control with medication I do still get anxious at times and stressed out. By far my biggest problem... View more

Hi fellow member, I'm in the 60 plus age group and have had chronic depression and anxiety for over ten years now, whilst my symptoms are mostly under control with medication I do still get anxious at times and stressed out. By far my biggest problem is sleep or rather the inability to get enough of it at night. I get so tired I nap for an hour or more in the afternoon several days a week. I have tried several different types of sleeping medications and although they work I can’t use them long term. I have tried going to bed later so I am more tired and when I wake I try meditation to get back to sleep. Nothing seems to work, I still wake several times during the night and I’m wide awake by 4:00 am most days. I go to bed at 10:00 PM each night and do breathing exercises for half an hour until my wife comes to bed. How much sleep are you getting, is it a deep sleep, do you wake refreshed, do you nap during the day???? Any advice on how to sleep better?

Lind779 Health anxiety. My positive story...
  • replies: 1

Im sure many of you can relate to my story. I have been diagnosed with Health anxiety, all triggered by an operation that had complications almost 4 months ago now. I was extremely sick afterwards with heart pulpitations, no appetite, nausea/vomittin... View more

Im sure many of you can relate to my story. I have been diagnosed with Health anxiety, all triggered by an operation that had complications almost 4 months ago now. I was extremely sick afterwards with heart pulpitations, no appetite, nausea/vomitting, tightness in throat, sweaty palms, tingling in arms. I had every test under the sun but all came back clear. I was told I had anxiety. I thought... no way, it must be something else and couldn't accept it. So I continued asking for more tests just to find that they were all good! The biggest thing for me was accepting this illness. Once I did, I seeked help. How I came to this realisation was a funny thing. I was feeling sick as usual with head in the bucket. My partner started to talk to me about anxiety, reassuring me that it will get better and that the feeling of being sick is all the anxiety. Then... it was like an off switch! I started to feel hungry, stopped feeling sick, tightness in throat disappeared and got energised all within seconds. The rest of the arvo I was bouncing around, eating everything in sight and I was back to my old self. That was the day I realised I had anxiety. Of course I felt sick again when I woke the next morning because my brain was trained that the day was going to be bad, but I had hope now and acceptance. So, the next step for me was to seek medication and a good phychologist. Of course, as most of us experience, was bad side effects from the meds. Higher anxiety, waking up at 4am with panic attacks, every symptom I had was alot higher. The side affects lasted about 2 weeks before I found some relief. I no longer have nausea, eating well, heart pulpitations have decreased and the tight throat have subsided. Im still working on the morning heart pulpitations but they are no way near as bad as they were. This is a work in progress and not an easy fix. I have to learn how to control the anxiety attacks when I fall ill with the simple cold or a virus. I immediately go into fight mode, thinking the worst which develops into an anxiety attack. I have good days and bad days but as long as the good days outweigh the bad, then I'm happy with that and hope the bad days will become less and less over time. Just to sum up what my treatment involves: medication, healthy eating, no alcohol, phychologist, CBT, yoga, meditation, keeping busy, breathing techniques, excercise and positive self talk. I would love to hear your success stories or work in progress stories as well.

Mariasharapovafan1 Healthy diet and exercise
  • replies: 5

Hi, I've following a sensible balanced diet and I started to reduce my junk food intake. Also I'm taking up a lot of physical activity by walking rather than catching the bus. This is very helpful. I'm now monitoring my diet and how much exercise I t... View more

Hi, I've following a sensible balanced diet and I started to reduce my junk food intake. Also I'm taking up a lot of physical activity by walking rather than catching the bus. This is very helpful. I'm now monitoring my diet and how much exercise I take up. Exercise I've heard alleviates depression. I'm slowly jumping out of my comfort zone. I would say well done.

creativesoul On Gratitude
  • replies: 0

Gratitude I am grateful for life and for all that it gives me every day I’m alive is another gift to me There are so many things we can thank our stars for but when you’re feeling left out you run low on your store How ‘bout this for a starter just b... View more

Gratitude I am grateful for life and for all that it gives me every day I’m alive is another gift to me There are so many things we can thank our stars for but when you’re feeling left out you run low on your store How ‘bout this for a starter just be glad that you’re here for the people who love you and to whom you hold dear? Just be thankful you made it you’re that one lucky sperm! Awww go on, have a chuckle at that it’s your turn See, there’s lots you can find when you really do look they’d take up a few lines if you were writing your ‘book’ there’s the fact that you’re breathing there’s the fact you have friends there’s the fact you’ve helped others from way way back when there’s the smiles on the faces of people you love there’s the warm and wet nose of your pet growing up there is laughter, good company, good food and wine think on those long and hard and methinks you’ll be fine! Best, Grant

creativesoul A bit of inspiration when you are feeling down😀
  • replies: 6

So I am a bit of a wordsmith, lol. Sometimes it can really help to be reminded gently of simple truths. Feel free to print this as a reminder if it helps you. Have you ever felt lost, so completely alone? Has your life become tangled, with 'weeds', o... View more

So I am a bit of a wordsmith, lol. Sometimes it can really help to be reminded gently of simple truths. Feel free to print this as a reminder if it helps you. Have you ever felt lost, so completely alone? Has your life become tangled, with 'weeds', overgrown? Do the things you found fun once not inspire anymore? Do you sit there for hours, wondering 'What is the score?'... Consider this for a moment ...life wasn't always this way, and what seems hard right now, will in time, fade away... Life's a series of problems that will always need solving it just goes on and on like a door that's revolving When you're down you can't see the way out, so you stew and your thoughts turn so inward, keep you fixed there, becomes glue and the more that struggle the more the bonds tighten and before long you find you're in trouble and you feel very frightened Yet it's just an illusion, made up in your mind oh I know it feels real and it's scary, unkind... but don't you be fooled in your moments of weakness this is NOT you my friend you can rise from this sadness Take one very small step in what you KNOW to be true then another, and another for that is the REAL YOU You were string once, know this and you will be again you have to change your perspective and see yourself as a friend it's not easy, I know but do this you must and...as you do this you will slowly gain trust All it takes is a small shift to again feel your power then keep on moving forward and never let your thoughts sour keep on moving on upward a tiny bit every day you can do this, you know it you've just got to be brave Cast aside any doubts for they are what hold you back just refocus again and you'll be back on track! Best, Grant

white knight Best attitude for recovery
  • replies: 2

There is a quote from the bible (I'm not religious.) "Forgive them for they not know what they do" And that quote is so important for your recovery because it frames others, those that can harm you, into a mental pigeon hole where you can more easily... View more

There is a quote from the bible (I'm not religious.) "Forgive them for they not know what they do" And that quote is so important for your recovery because it frames others, those that can harm you, into a mental pigeon hole where you can more easily deal with them. We are talking about your recovery here. A large percentage of the public don't know much about mental illness or think they know but don't. Not to mention you have a unique personal issue that these "experts" generalise. If all depressed people were the same psychiatrists would join the dole queue after a master recovery manual was printed. Its well documented in these forum pages one of my suggestions for recovery is to keep toxic people at bay. But...there is a big difference in how you view these people from your own perspective. "What is the best perspective we can have that aids our recovery? Blame is not the best. Blame means its their fault. How can the majority of the population be at fault over them not being able to have sufficient vision to understand an illness of the mind, an invisible injury? You do not want to spend your thoughts of your life on blaming so many people. Acceptance is best. This way we can indeed judge the naive, the uneducated, the conteptable, the judgemental, the inflictor of harm (maybe) as being an inferior being. This manner is akin to justifiably being arrogant!! On this topic only. Arrogance in this case is for your mental well being so is used as a priority but not aired. To forgive them but still not have them in your life is to create peace for yourself but to take action as well. This means there is two major actions to help you progress. Add time to that mix and peace arrives faster with far greater contentment whereas blame will linger. Forgiveness is a major release and progressor of your mind. It is also a way of being kind- a mentality of a "feel good" feeling. You can be like this AND eliminate others from your life if you decide. You'll more likely happily greet that toxic person in the street and quickly say goodbye rather than cross earlier to avoid. See the difference? Best of both worlds. Tony WK

Jack184 Music

Just something I thought might make for some interesting conversation, I'm dealing with what I think is depression at the moment. For me, music has been a big part of how I cope. It's like therapy. It might not be that way for everyone, but for those... View more

Just something I thought might make for some interesting conversation, I'm dealing with what I think is depression at the moment. For me, music has been a big part of how I cope. It's like therapy. It might not be that way for everyone, but for those who do, I was wondering what bands and/or songs you listen to. For me, I tend to listen to a lot of Imagine Dragons and a bit of Simple Plan. I can relate to a lot of it really well. Interested to hear your thoughts, Jack

p77d DIFFICULTY COMMUNICATING? TRY WRITING....

Hi all, I'm having a particularly hard time at the moment and not much of a talker but I love writing and find it helps especially when shared with others. Any others with similar thoughts?

Hi all, I'm having a particularly hard time at the moment and not much of a talker but I love writing and find it helps especially when shared with others. Any others with similar thoughts?

StaticRose51 Compliments received for 2016
  • replies: 12

Hi, It's true we all have our good and bad days. I was wondering what everyone else does with the compliments they receive, do you just brush it off as feedback or do you get creative. Projects like a Happiness Jars are a great boost in our busy live... View more

Hi, It's true we all have our good and bad days. I was wondering what everyone else does with the compliments they receive, do you just brush it off as feedback or do you get creative. Projects like a Happiness Jars are a great boost in our busy lives! Any extra ideas would be appreciated Thank you ~Stacy

Guest_2350 Thank you - one year into my journey
  • replies: 3

Hi All, thank you all for your support during the last year and all the times you kept me motivated, explained things, shared your experiences, understood me or were just there for me. I keep thinking that I am still at the beginning of my journey - ... View more

Hi All, thank you all for your support during the last year and all the times you kept me motivated, explained things, shared your experiences, understood me or were just there for me. I keep thinking that I am still at the beginning of my journey - as I thought I would be cured of this in a matter of months like an injury - but I am starting to accept, that this is actually me, this is part of me and I am already a long way into my journey. I am starting to accept that - recovery will always have dips, and that some of the dips are really scary - I have a mental illness - I take medication, but they actually help me and I know how and when to take them - it is okay to ask for help when I get lost and confused - it is okay to call a helpline, my GP, my psych and share how I really feel - it is okay to feel lost and confused - it is okay to feel angry, to feel sad, to feel numb, to feel whatever I am feeling at the moment - I have to carry medication and a safety plan with me at all times - I might go to hospital one day - I measure my recovery based on my lowest and not from my previous highs My goals for the next few months, apart from following my treatment & advise from my care team are: - to meditate or do something mindful (like eating chocolate ice cream without any distraction, one of my favourites) - to move my body, with something that is light and fun - to sit in the sun or take a lunch time walk - to eat a little bit more balanced again - to listen to my body and take care of my rest There are no time goals, no targets, I just ride the waves as they come and appreciate that I have a work environment that allows me to recover, a loving husband who is always by my side and a medical team that actually cares about me and new friends online that share my journey. Thank you all. Take care, Yggy