FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

ARE YOU ANXIOUS ABOUT NOT ACHIEVING YOUR LIFE GOALS?

The_Bro
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Everyone

I have noticed these days that many people seem to be fretting about not achieving what they dreamt of. Particularly with the Covid 19 pressures and never ending lockdowns.

To me it seems more prevalent when peeps reach their 30th birthday, or just before retirement age.

What happened to my goals, what have I achieved?

I have been thinking about this quite a lot. Some time ago I read something about 'Surrendering more' and not overly focussing on goals. I can't remember much of it but some parts struck a chord that I have found really useful in adapting to my life.

Here are some of the life principles I try to observe, (but am not always able to!).

1.Try to celebrate what you have, instead of searching for reasons to be happy. For example good health, job you like, friends, even that nice bed cover, a trip you enjoyed etc are all good things to celebrate!

2. 'Ke Sera Sera' - I find this one very helpful. Basically the song is about what will be, will be, and not fretting over goals and dreams. By all means still keep that over arching vision alive, but just let things happen a little more. I guess better expressed as letting go of the need to be in charge of your life and recognise that the Universe will look after you - with just a bit of guidance from you!

3. Obstacles are there for a reason. Difficult I know, but looking back, nearly every obstacle placed in my way was actually a detour in the right direction! Yes we really to learn from difficulties when looking back. So try not to let them overcome you or get in the way of your strong self belief.

4. When doing Philosophy classes years ago, I remember learning not to judge but to look at things objectively as they really are. Too often I let my emotions or beliefs get in the way and cloud my judgement. Even people you might think are a pain have very positive things to offer if only you will let that happen and get to truly know them. Is this the same as being in the present?

I hope this post is not too waffly and some one may actually get something out of it.

All I can say is that if I remind myself of some of these principles, It makes me feel much better about myself and my future.

Very happy to receive your views!

All the best, The Bro

9 Replies 9

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

That's very true! What a nice and positive post.

Keep it up,

Jaz.

The_Bro
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Wow thanks a million Jaz - you have made my day!

The Bro

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Thank you for the amazing reminders and quotes. I appreciate it. You have truly motivated me.

The_Bro
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you Sophia, that is really nice of you to give that feedback.

You have also motivated me!

Regards, The Bro

pinkflower95
Community Member

I struggle with this. I hear people tell me what i should be doing with my life and I can see there point of view so I feel conflicted and VERY anxious, emotional and stressed as I don't know where to start and what I feel I want to do with my life. It is all very confusing to me and I constantly think/ worry about what I should be doing with my self all the time. I hate myself for this, why can't I settle to make any decision??

Gidday Pinkflower and thanks for your reply to my post!

Yes totally agree it can be a little difficult to embrace this line of thinking. Of course if a person sits and does little, not much at all may happen.

I wonder if you should try lots of different things - both work and personal. This will 'stir the pot' so to speak and give you a greater chance of something coming along that gives you a "That's exactly what I want" moment.

The point is to try not to worry about if things are happening or your goals are being achieved. The over arching 'dream' is important and will guide you along without you having to worry about it.

So please don't give up, try and relax but do spend some time imagining the perfect job or place to live etc, try to keep busy each day and just let it happen.

Finally, try not to even listen to others telling you what to do with your life - unless they are genuinely helpful and empathetic to your situation. Only you will know if something appeals to you or not.

I am very happy to discuss further if that would help.

All the very best, The Bro

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Good point!

Goals are WHAT, they can be changing due to the external and internal environment change. You will feel lost no matter having achieved your goal or realizing it's impossible to achieve any more.

So instead of finding WHAT, find your WHY, your purpose, the reason of your existence and value, the meaning you want to bring to the community or your loved one. It takes longer time to find your why, but it last longer as well.

Have a look at Simon Sineck's speech it lights up my life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZoJKF_VuA

Hi The Bro,

As always kind and inspiring - thank you for this post.

Have a good one.

Thank you Learn to Fly - very much appreciated.

I am off now to find a larger hat size.......

The Bro