FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Alcohol Free Days (part 2)

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi folks

April is fast approaching and as a result of the start of a new month I'm going to get off the grog again.  Made it through in February - just that little bit tougher in April though - cause there's a couple more days to get through!!  🙂

If any Beyond Blue poster/community member who reckons they'd like to give this challenge a go with me, I'd LOVE to hear from you on this thread - it'll all commence on Tuesday, so prior to then whoever is interested in trying this, just make sure you've got no more alky-hole in your home cause that'll remove any temptation.  Just a first tip I guess.

No dramas at all if there's no-one, but I just thought I'd put this out there for anyone who is thinking that now might be a good time to have a bit of a 'dry-out'.

ALSO, if any one "does" come on board, again absolutely no dramas if you drop off at some stage.  It's the process of giving it a go is the main thing.

Cheers beers (for a couple more days anyway!)  🙂

Neil

85 Replies 85

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Neil

Good luck with AFD for April.  I know and believe in you that you can do it.

Enjoy your couple of days with cheers with beers!!!

Jo

Vera55
Community Member

This is my 3rd attempt of posting this and if this doesn't go through I will scream big time! 

I am joining in too and going alcohol free. 

I am also going to walk or cycle daily. 

Good on you Neil for initiating this.

if all my 3 replies end up being posted I will scream some more. Losing posts is very annoying. Why does it happen so often on this site? 

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi Vera

"Welcome aboard" our non-booze April.  🙂

Yes it can be frustrating when our posts do take a little while to arrive;  but hey, scream out - it's good exercise for the lungs and a good scream works off a few calories as well.

Just a quick question ... what's your usual exercise regime like?  Are you fairly frequent with the walking and cycling?  If so, then that's brilliant and go for it on a daily basis.  If you're starting afresh, then I'd be suggested do something like that every 2nd day (and that be dependent on how you feel).  Totally dependant on how much you're doing at the moment.  But I say totally, GOOD ON YOU for getting amongst this.  🙂

We can bounce messages of support against each other through April.  🙂

Cheers beers (for one more night)

Neil

scorch
Community Member
I will join no-booze April.  It will be interesting to see how it goes.

guest75
Community Member

Hi Neil

Im happy to join your grog free April...although i dont really drink so wont mean much coming from me...maybe i should give up coke again for a month ?

Vera55
Community Member

From now on I am going to copy my posts before I post them because those last 2 went off into cyber system error.

just walked into town to get real good walking shoes but they were out of wide ones which I need. The new Asics have maximum gel cushioning so that will be great for my knees which have a bit of bursitis I think or just wear and tear because I am 59 and had an active life. 

Thank you for the concern about starting off easy but I have been exercising and I think I will be ok. I have been alternating walks with cycling and am at a stage where I miss it if I don't do it. That is so strange because that bike has been looking at me for at least 3 years and threatening me to get on and then one day I just did. Amazing how that works. Timing or something.

i can't find the post where someone is training for a marathon. I would love to do that. Hope that person responds here. 

So here goes to us three. Hope others join us as we go along. 

MaryG
Community Member

I'm in...although I have a 5 day head start. Good luck everyone. 

Neil_1
Community Member

Dear all

I'm sucking down my VB's tonight like there's going to be no tomorrow!  But of course there will be a tomorrow - or is this the time where that unusual calendar thing comes into effect and there might not be a tomorrow.  If so, then I will say that I LOVE you all and it's been fun.

If not, then I will wake tomorrow, bright eyed and bushy tailed - see I told you I was a weird looking specimen - with that kind of tail, you'll never see me in shorts!!  But I digress, it is getting late and I haven't put my daughter bunnies into their lock up night time shelter.

Now where was I ... oh yeah, at home.   This is really awesome people - it's a gathering and I think we might have another one, Stressless mentioned on another thread about this - so it's brilliant.

Matty, yes my friend - coke is your vice, so off it for a month my good man.

ps:  I'm not absolutely hammered and seeing butterflies and colourful elephants floating above me ... I've only just got home from the gym and coupled with a brutal leg workout and am onto my 3rd VB elixer, all things are glowing quite beautifully.

Oh if only I could bottle this and keep it 24/7.

Anyway, the bunnies are a calling ... tomorrow will be Day One and don't be fooled by that - get it, fooled by that ... April 1st, .... oh dear.  Time for me to sign off.

Cheers beers;

Neil

CrashCoyote
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Neil, and fellow addicts, 

Thank you for your support and encouragement. I will come on board the A.F.D.'s for as long as I can. (Can't remember the last time I went a month without booze.) I have grown to think of alcohol as both the disease and the cure. 

More sobering (no pun intended) are the words of Mercedes McCambridge; "Alcohol is a very patient drug. It will wait for the alcoholic to pick it up one more time." 

It may be able to out wait me, or maybe not. The smokes are still out there waiting for me, and have been for over twelve years. Abstinence has to start somewhere, and trying without success is still better than not trying at all. 

Have a good and dry month. 

Best wishes all, John.