FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

A Big Decision To Make

Loco23
Community Member

I'm 26, been living at home with my mum and dad and older brother recently moved out. I've been going through a bit of a rough patch in the last four years since I graduated uni in that:

- Ex girlfriend (4 year relationship) broke up with me.

- Struggled to find any long term relationship. Still single.

- The career path that I've wanted since I was in primary school didn't work out. Resigned after 4 months.

- Currently working a boring office job with no progression.

- Lost 90% of my friends.

- Not sure what my next career path should be?

With my brother moving out, all my current friends living out of home with their fiancès/ girlfriends... It's really pushing me to just move to another state/ city and start fresh, find a new job and live on my own. But I'm not sure if I'm making another bad decision that might be a bit too rash. It just seems very appealing to just start a new life with a new job in a new city. Plus, I'm starting to feel a bit embaraased -26 year old man who still lives at home? It's what a friend of mine keeps pointing out anyway.

3 Replies 3

monkey_magic
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Loco23,

I often feel like you do and have made that move several times. The best advice I can give is to find something in your price range even if that means living with another person, just in case.

Once upon a time I ended up living in my car bcas i couldn't afford my rent-after work dried up.

You'ld want to preferably have some savings to back you just in case.

It can be a great adventure moving state with different scenery and other things to do and ppl to meet.

I don't think u need to rush moving out though bcas of your age. There's less security and it's more expensive living out of home ( assuming your parents own the house & ull be renting)

Another option could be saving and travelling.

Do u know where you'll be moving to? I've lived in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, and visited Alice Springs. It would also be a good idea to YouTube different states and see which one/s suit you the best.

Let us know what you think.

I've thought about travelling but I feel like I just need to get out of my city. I've grown up in Sydney all my life. I've travelled in the past but I feel like I've grown so tired of this city. A lot of the locations remind me of past experiences - good and bad. I'd like to move just to start fresh and experience new things. However, you're right. I'm not going to move unless I have a good job to support me in the city and a decent amount of savings - just in case.

Paw Prints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Loco23,

Starting fresh in a new place can seem very appealing, but it doesn't work for everyone. Waiting til you have some savings & a job is wise. In the mean time you could try starting fresh where you are. In a new town you would need to find new places to meet people, new groups/activites to join, so treat Sydney as a new town. Meet new people by going to places you have never been to before , look for groups/activities away from your current comfort zone. If you can't afford to rent by yourself in Sydney, look for a share house or somewhere that takes lodgers, that will give you the chance to find your feet out of home before you move further away, where you would have no support near by.

Hope this gives you some ideas you may want to try.

Paws