FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Want to but scared to share my bisexuality on social media.

Mudcakes
Community Member

So basically my Mum knows I’m Bi.

My “best friend” does. (Kinda complicated) And two fellow lgbt friends that I’m yet to speak in person (One at school, one not) some people in a private group chat.

Somedays I want to post stuff you know? Quotes or something.

I have pins my Mum got me but I’m scared to wear them.

I guess some days I just want to share on facebook or instagram a picture but then I feel scared. I also feel like it’s a private thing no one really needs to know except close friends, close family and obviously future partners, but at the same time every now and then I just want to. Any advice on if I should or if I should wait until I’m really ready and not feeling scared. In my other threads I have spoken about my current school experience. So this might make that worse too. I don’t know I just some days what to just post and smile.

21 Replies 21

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Mudcakes, a difficult decision to make, when that's exactly what you want to do but scared of the response you may receive.

If I can just say and understanding your predicament, does a person make a comment about someone they are keen on dating on any social media, it usually backfires against them, losing any chance of that person and them actually going out, simply because rumours begin making the situation very awkward.

People will learn to know how you are feeling by the general comments you've made because if you make comments on any social media, there's a chance you might lose friends you thought you had.

You're proud of being who you are, there's nothing wrong about that, but I would keep it at a low level, word and mouth will slowly spread.

If I said at school that I really liked my best mates girlfriend, for instant, then much could happen that I didn't want to happen.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Mudcakes
Community Member
My school is really lgbt positive and none of that would happen. It’s more personal fear I guess. Hesitation. Plus I have social phobia and major stuff going on at school.

Hi Mudcakes,

Thank you for sharing such a open and honest post. You are brave.

First and foremost, do what feels right. If in the moment you feel like telling someone, tell them. Remember its their problem if they have a problem.

What state are you from? I know a great LGBTI group based in Victoria called MINUS 18. They hold events for LGBTI people to meet, its such a great cause. Give MINUS 18 a Google search.

Let us know how you go!

And remember; You Do You!

Regards,

D

Guest_4643
Community Member

Hey Mudcakes.

I just wanted to say congrats on coming out as Bisexual, I'm proud of you. You have the support of people here.

I hope you can find the confidence to come out at school, if you wish, and don't get judged. Best of luck.

I also have a Social Phobia.

Mudcakes
Community Member
I am in vic and signed up for minus 18. I also do Qlife when I need support. Thank you. I’ll speak to my mum about posting something. Thank you everyone for the support! 💜🏳️‍🌈

Best of luck, Mudcakes. We're thinking of you, we have your back xx

Mudcakes
Community Member

My Mum knows I’m bi, and super supportive, I just don’t feel comfortable talking about my feelings for girls yet. I told her about a dream I had and lied and said I kissed a guy but I kissed a girl in the dream. It feels weird as she knows I’m bi and got me pins and a cushion case, I just don’t know what her response would be If I told her one of my female crushes etc. As we have only spoken about guys I like before and after I came out. Would it be awkward? And she knows I’m bi so why am I anxious about this?😩 Advice please.

Mudcakes🐕‍🦺🎂

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Mudcakes, if your mum knows and accepts that you're bi, then there is no reason why you can't talk about girls, either in a dream or in real life, because being bi means an attraction to two or more genders, so don't be afraid.

If you only want to talk about guys and not girls, may change being bi to another term.

Geoff.

Mudcakes
Community Member

Any other advice please. Got no idea why I get uncomfortable when she knows I am.