FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Preparing to take next steps.

Chickwithwick
Community Member
Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I am Chloe, inside I am a transgendered person. I have preferred to be a woman from a very early age but due to a variety of reasons I have been unable to express myself openly. The main reason is I never really accepted myself and thought of it as a defect. I'm over it now, I am happy who I am and my partner of 7 years who has known about this from the start is more than supportive.

The issue at hand is this:

I am a highly qualified Demolition expert focused almost entirely on industrial entities. As you can imagine surely it is a male dominated industry and quite hard to transition in. Not only that, it's dangerous and dirty. I am exposed to all sorts of horrible stuff, regularly getting burned and exposed to Asbestos, hydrocarbons etc. I do use proper PPE and am qualified to handle these substances. I am qualified nationally for high risk works and am regularly working from heights of 50 meters + I do love the work, I hate what it does to my body.

I would like to start a new career, but being 35 and having an income over 100k I have had to accept that I will earn far less. That's fine. I don't need a lot of money, it's just comfortable.

I have no idea of what I could go for in terms of work to support my lifestyle and choices.

Is there anyone here who has had to change career later in life to support their choices?
How did you do it? How hard was it to transition (work transition)?

Can anyone recommend some possible career paths to take this late in life?
4 Replies 4

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Chickwithwick and warm welcome to our forums

Sounds like you have a very interesting career and obviously one that you do like, but don't like what it does to your body. Have you considered going into training in the workplace health and safety field?

You are still quite young (35 yo). I remember when I was that old, I'd resigned from my highly qualified office job and walked into a bar, asked for training behind the bar (giving my time freely - so I could learn). Up until then I'd worked in an office all my life. Reality was - I was offered a job at the end of the week, however, another office job came up. Guess which one I chose.

In relation to which career path to choose, it depends on what you think you'd like to do. There is always training, uni and TAFE courses to help you get where you'd like to be. Many people make changes at varying ages. My partner went from labouring jobs (over 30 years) to becoming a support worker for people with disabilities.

Guest_4643
Community Member

hey chickwithwick, welcome.

i just wanted to say good on you for coming out as trans, and being happy with it. it sounds like your partner is supportive too if i read that correctly?

as for your job, i'm not sure. i guess whatever you feel comfortable with and whatever you can get into, if anything? sorry i can't provide any advice on that.

best of luck.

CalmCat
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Chickwithwick,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story.

I think PamelaR has a great idea in getting into OHS field, I think you'd bring a great deal of construction experience.

You could give an office job a go if that tickles your fancy? Go to some recruitment agencies and sign up. They'll help you get a job.

And congratulation on your life changes, such amazing life moves! Hope your smiling and let us know your thoughts.

Regards,

cc

Thanks for your reply. That's a great idea. I have a head start as I have already done the cert IV in WHS.

Thanks for the help and support. Really appreciate the quick responses from everyone.