FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My best friend is transgender but doesn't remember telling me

aceinspace
Community Member

I was hanging out with two close friends (both male) at a sleepover, both of them pretty drunk at this point, after playing truth or dare which resulting in my two friends wearing clothes of mine (female). We were talking on the couch and my friend confesses that he likes wearing my clothes and feels gender dysphoria and feels paranoid around people he doesn't know because he thinks they'll kill him for being trans. My friends and I are both supportive of him and talk to him about going to a therapist to talk about these issues. He said that he's scared that a therapist may pressure him into transitioning or into not transitioning. He currently unsure if he wants to transition as his family is conservative and feels that once he transitions he won't be allowed to like girls anymore and be forced to be with guys.

He doesn't remember telling us. My friend and I don't know if we should tell him or wait until he feels comfortable telling us sober. And if we should tell him we don't know how to. I don't know what to do. Any help is welcome, thank you

1 Reply 1

Soberlicious96
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Aceinspace,

Welcome to BB, and well done on reaching out and asking what to do to help your friend. It's so nice when people are just there for each other, without judgement. I'm sure you are very much valued by your friend.

Perhaps you could check out the section on supporting others. I have pasted a link below.

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/personal-best/pillar/supporting-others

There is also a space for those dealing with Sexuality and gender identity here on BB, so if your friend happens to bring it up again, maybe you could direct him to that? And again I have pasted a link below:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/sexuality-and-gender-identity

I hope that at least some of that helps a little. And remember, Beyond Blue is here for you and with you 24/7.

Take care, and again, well done on wanting to help your friend. Take care. xo