FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

how can I start transitioning

uhhhhhh
Community Member

Hello,

I am 15, i recently figured out that I am ftm transgender and I've only told a couple of friends who I know are also transgender and my mother. My mum didn't really know how to react. it wasn't much of a conversation but I'm pretty sure she was supportive. it was a really tough conversation for me since I'm already really shy and embarrassed about my existence around my mum lol. She's trying to get me to see a therapist which is nice but she won't let me change my name yet.

i want to ask if I can start hormone therapy but I'm so scared or being rejected. anyone know any tips on how I can build up enough courage to ask

14 Replies 14

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi uhhhhhh

It's great that you are here to share your story and that you've approached your Mum. Being vulnerable like this can be very hard, but it's very important and shows amazing growth.

As for the hormone therapy, you could actually ask the therapist about how to best seek out treatment and how to ensure your Mum and anyone else in your support network is as supportive as possible. You can also check out the Sexuality and gender identity thread here to find out more general advice on building up more courage on how to take those next steps too. Feel free to let us know how you go!

Tay100

uhhhhhh
Community Member

thank you so much this is really helpful.

thanks

alex

eight
Community Member

congrats on coming out to your mum alex even if it didn't go warmly. you mentioned at the beginning of the post you also have trans friends - are any of them out or transitioning, have you asked them how they got there? they might be able to recommend you people or places

if you want to discuss legal/medical transition the process usually depends on what state you live in - are you comfortable divulging where, mate? no sweat if you aren't. if you're planning to discuss with your therapist a good professional will try to walk through it with you but having a plan or the know-how can help you bring up the topic with your mum

also if you haven't yet and have the financial means to do so try looking into buying chest binders (alt. sports or compression bras) or packers. good investments 👍

uhhhhhh
Community Member
thank you for replying
none of my trans friends are out yet only to a couple of our other friends, I did say where I was located in that post but it got deleted since I don't think I'm allowed to say on here. do you know where I can maybe find good therapists or gender therapists I don't know where to start. i saved up for a binder and finally got my first binder a week ago 🙂

thank you so much!

alex

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
hello alex,

so glad you've reached out - you are amongst friends here.

i just thought i would mention a couple of places that might help you, regardless of your location - they have heaps of resources that will help you:

* qlife.org.au

* gendercentre.org.au

and you are always welcome here to talk through anything you are going through.

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi uhhhhhh

No worries at all! There is some great dialogue from others you can consider too. Let us know if you have any more questions and feel free to continue to use this thread to share your story and your progress!

Tay100

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi uhhhhhh

Just thought I'd check-in and see how your progress was going? How are things with your Mum and seeking out treatment? We are here if you would like to share.

Tay100

uhhhhhh
Community Member

hey,

thank you for asking. we did end up seeing my gp and I should be getting in to see a gender therapist soon which is really great 🙂 still haven't been able to change my name around her but I have emailed my school about changing it within the school and they said they'll do what they can which is awesome. I've come out to some other close friends and I'm so lucky that they're supportive. She is being supportive i think she just doesn't want to do the wrong thing.

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi uhhhhhh

Oh goodness, that is great! Hopefully, the school will make name/pronoun changes soon! And being able to see a gender therapist will be such a foundation for you. It's good to hear your Mum is supportive, and hopefully she will be open to name changes soon. How are things going with your Mum generally?
Having helpful school mates is great too- are you excited for school to start again soon?

Tay100

Tay100