FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

gonna make this quick

Tamrby
Community Member
uh, so my counsellor that I saw today, and she was very sweet and accepting of me, but she kept using odd wording, she like kept saying things like "so do your parents support your choice of being a lesbian, and the decision you made?" I- can anyone spot the flaw here? I would definitely not choose to like the same sex (I mean don't get me wrong I'm proud of who I am but it can really suck sometimes) plus my family is homophobic so if I could choose I would definitely choose to just like boys. Anyways it really rubbed me the wrong way even though she seemed genuinely supportive the wording uh, was definitely bad. I don't know maybe I'm just being sensitive, It doesn't make my like super upset or anything I just wanted rant and get some opinions from others! thanks - tambry
7 Replies 7

Littlebluescent
Community Member

Hi Tambry,

First, I don't think you are being too sensitive. It is a poor choice of words. As someone studying Psychology, we are constantly told to be mindful of how we are using our words, so I'm wondering if your counsellor has experience working with lgbtq+ people or is informed much on the lgbtq+ community? It might be helpful to bring this up with her if you feel comfortable and haven't done so already. On the plus side, it sounds very positive that she was accepting. This could be a very good opportunity for her to learn.

Best of luck 🙂

She said she had talked to many people about their identity and people who were in the community so, I'm not sure I guess it was a poor choice of words, I wanted to correct her but I was kind of scared haha, like it wasn't my place to say anything

Jo8049
Community Member

Good morning and welcome here Tamrby . You hit that chord with me about choosing . All journeys are different but somewhere along them our real self exposes his her or theirselves , I don't think that is a choice . Only what we do then has any component of choice or not .

I feel for you already in an unsupportive environment at home . This goes right to your inner core and is like an earthquake within . Its OK to feel this , be gentle and give yourself a lot of hugs .

Your councillor is supportive , that's good Littlebluescent hits the nail on the head , as if you can talk with her it should be easily resolved and a very satisfying result may come out of that conversation . Only if you are comfortable with that .

Hugs , Jo W

CalmCat
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Tamrby,

Thank you for sharing such a personal post.

Don't take what your mental health worker said to seriously, we are all entitled to our opinion. I'm sure if you found another mental health worker you would get a different response to the same question asked.

Hope your experience with the counsellor hasn't tarnished your thoughts on mental health workers. There are some great people out there.

Let us know your thoughts.

Regards,

D

Tamrby
Community Member
Hello and thank you so much for your words they mean alot, Sorry for the late response I havent been on here much lately i have been a bit busy ahah

Jo8049
Community Member

Hi Tamrby , how are you going ? Is everything starting to work out and are you ok ?

Busy is good . Happy days and hugs . Take care of you x.

Lol Jo&LD x

Tamrby
Community Member
Hey, thanks for the concern and sorry for the late response, I am doing fine definitely would be better but hey its highschool, i don't think im going back to her idk school councillors have never been very helpful for me sometimes does the opposite idk though