FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Genderqueer

atw503
Community Member

Hello,

I'm someone who is very proud to be female, but at the same time I've never really felt gender was a rigid thing that defined me. Also, due to lack of safety and general sexism, it took me a long time to feel pride and value aspects of myself that might be considered female.

I tend to sit on the margins of all genders, never quite committing to one too obviously.

I'm an American who moved to Australia 5 years ago and it's been a huge cultural adjustment. The amount of sexism I've experienced has been massive here when compared to America.

Gender roles are more rigid here and at times this has made my life hard. I feel as if I have to hide who I really am, especially at work. I also feel like I constantly have to choose my battles in calling out people's obsession with gendered ideals.

Any other gender diverse folks out there that have found ways to "fit in" without withholding key aspects of who they are? Sometimes it's hard to think positively when it feels like I'm always climbing a hill.

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi atw, welcome

In a way you are battling similar stigma that the mentally ill are constantly facing.

We are different, less desirable and we are a minority and that together is a recipe to being targeted. What is the answer?

I explain it better here-

Google and read the first post-

Beyondblue Topic so what are their mental illnesses?

Also we all have different nature. Humans of a flower dont embrace gum leaves in the same vase.

Beyondblue Topic the frog and the scorpion

In my view it vomes down to how wr vounter it. You say " I also feel like I constantly have to choose my battles in calling out people's obsession with gendered ideals"...well this thread could help-

beyondblue Topic wit, the only answer to torment

When you master that, you will regain the power of nasty or naive people that have nothing better to do than to judge beautiful individuals like yourself.

We dont fit the mould- thank heavens for that. How boring.

We also have an ongoing thread called "do you like yourself -your thoughts are welcome " search for that one if you like.

TonyWK

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi atw503,

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not genderqueer so hope you don't mind me popping in - I thought I'd just give you a quick welcome.

Hopefully you'll be able to get some more posts in, but in case you don't - I'm wondering what state that you're in? I'm only asking because there is so much support online, but it's hard to round it down unless you specify the state. I thought maybe if you're not able to get the support here, I might be able to share another resource? While I don't understand what you're going through, I do know that you're not alone in what you're experiencing and there are other people in the same boat.

Hope you enjoy being here.