FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Asexuality

Guest_672
Community Member

Why is asexuality never discussed? Im frequently judged by people including medical professionals when they find out i have never slept or even kissed anyone and im middle aged. I have no desire i have never had any desire abd i will never have any desire to me thats the norm ive always been that way. I dont understand why people gawk when they find out. I was always always made to feel like a freak. When i came across the term asexuality i didn't feel alone anymore. It needs to be brought out in the open more

2 Replies 2

CrazyGecko89
Community Member

I tend to find that society is very judgemental these days and set in a certain pattern so anything out of the norm would be looked at strangely or questioned. However it's also not easy to ask someone about it either as the reception could vary between open to hostile. If I get questioned about my own situation they get a simple answer and if they try digging too much than the conversation is done.

Sky31
Community Member

Nice to see another Asexual on the forum 🙂

The great thing about online communities and forums is the fact that whoever you are, there will be communities formed around the concept with similar thoughts. When I first found out I was asexual, I loved being part of Aven, an online asexual community.

Unfortunatly, real life makes it much more tough as only an estimated 1% of the population are asexual. Out of interest, are you also aromantic (no desire for a partner?)

I always like to think of traits such as asexuality as advantages. For example, you are free from the temptation of sexual desires that could get you in trouble or could help someone easily take advantage of you because you find them attractive and will do anything for them. You are free to achieve your own life goals without a relationship getting in the way assuming you are aromantic too...

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck, don’t worry, you aren’t the only one out there 🙂