FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Worried About My Mother

Clara1
Community Member

I am in a very bad mood today after talking to my mother. I don’t know if this is her fault or my fault. I feel confused and I am not sure who I can turn to for help. She says I don’t appreciate her and she makes me feel like I did something wronge to her. Sometimes I am just not sure what to say to her. 

3 Replies 3

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Clara1~

Some people are lucky enough to get on well with their parents, for each to understand the other, and neither come away from a conversation unhappy. If that does not happen it is easy to feel lost and all adrift, and quite alone. As a result I think you made a good move in coming here where you can see how others have coped.

I suspect you are rather a nice person, after all you said you were worried about your mum.

Relationships can be complicated and the brief message you have written does say your mum feels unappreciated and you feel as if you may have done something wrong.

I guess there are a couple of things you might like to try, and one is to see if you can have an open discussion with you mum, see what specific things she feels unappreciated about and at the same time you are wondering what you have done wrong.

Do you think this is practical?

Because it is complex and getting perspective can be difficult it may be helpful to talk to someone with  experience, or someone who simply cares about you. Do you have anyone in your family or a friend, even a councilor if you are at school, TAFE or uni?

The other place you might try is hte Kids Help Line (1800 55 1800), They also have web-chat and are open 24/7 for anyone under 25.

I'd like it if you came back and talked some more

Croix

Clara1
Community Member

Hi Croix, Yes I think your advise was practical. I may have to go to a counsellor. I am 42 years old. 😀 

Dear Clara1~

Well all I can say is you don't look your age:)

Your two subsequent posts have given a better idea about matters and I think TonyWK's advice about your brother is going to be as sensible a set of alternatives anyone can think of. From your distress the situation should be resolved. Personally I agree I've found asking someone if it is their intention .. can be quite effective

The things you do keep healthy are fine from the physical point of view however anyone also need happiness, satisfaction and just sheer fun in their lives to balance out all the down things. I'm lucky to have all three - including fum.

Having a laugh, or even an amused smile, can work wonders. I have favorite comedians on YouTube and if all else fails view them. It's good to have people in the world that wish to make others laugh.

May I ask what sort of things you might  be able to do ?

Croix