Workplace Opportunity / Ultimatum?
I work in the public sector in western australia which has experienced massive cut backs due to the incompetency of the current state government. I was one of the unfortunate ones to receive a letter informing me that my project has ended, my position has been abolished and i am now a surplus requirement to the department i work for. Fortunately i have permanency so they can't get rid of me just like that without going through a process. This puts me on the unattached list and gives me priority for a transfer.
However new legislation is about to come in which will force permanent employees to accept involuntary redunancy. I've also learnt that another 50 permanent positions are about to be cut. Therefore i was told that i should strongly consider any opportunity that comes my way or face the possibility of involuntary redunancy. So i've been offered two opportunities .......
First Opportunity - move 3000km away to the north. This is an amazing opportunity, it is something completely new and different and it would diversify my skills and experience. Problem it is truly remote and my wife would not be able to cope with the remoteness and the stifling heat and humidity. If i was younger and single again it would be a no brainer - i'd go!
Second Opportunity - move 900km to the south and continue doing what i was already doing but in a different location. Problem is it is a specialist role and it won't diversify my experience and the whole program is under threat so i could be again faced with the same problem in a couple of years time.
Major Problems - my wife doesn't want to move and i can't blame her! We are well set up where we are, my 5yo daughter goes to a good school, everything is convenient, we like it here but because we live regionally there are no other reasonable opportunities for me so if i want to continue paying the mortgage then i have no option than to move away.
I have been given three days to make a decision which will have major implications on my family. My wife has been crying alot because of it. I will miss my beautiful wife and beautiful 5yo daughter desperately but i feel i have no other choice. I feel a dull sickness in my stomach and my head is swirling because of it. I feel as though my life is at a real crossroads and i am completely lost as to what i should do?
I guess because of the current employment situation my problem is not uncommon. Thanks for reading
Would your wife compromise and go with option no.2? Find a new good school ? If yes , I would take that for the sake of keeping you together and for financial reasons. You don't have time to be choosy and would give you some breathing space. If you have to move or are not happy with job you can consider your options at a later stage. Kids have no problem adjusting, in fact it could be an opportunity for her to experience something new.
Big life decisions are always difficult in my experience. Hindsight would be great.
Let us know what you decide, good luck!!!
Hello John & Frann,
Thank you for your responses.
Unfortunately the first opportunity offered to me which was up in the Kimberley region of WA was withdrawn after it was realised that budget cuts were more severe than initially thought and there wasn't the budget to cover it!
Therefore i tentatively expressed interest in the second opportunity but with concerns regarding the security of this position considering that it is part of the same project i had been working on which has already been heavily targeted for cutbacks.
I sent my very carefully constructed response to our human resources branch and received a response from them today telling me that my response has been sent to the Directors Office - the very top of the Govt dept. i work for. It will be interesting to receive their response.
It's a stressful situation which does very little for the underlying depression that i suffer. The only good that has come from the uncertainty of the situation is that it has made me really re-evaluate my life including what is important to me and it has brought my wife and i closer together again after having marital problems over the last couple of years or so.
I'll keep you informed and thanks again!
Ok , well so far so good. I always say " things happen for a reason" and you usually find this out down the track.
Hard not to worry too much but try , hopefully they'll respond soon. In the mean time spend quality time with your wife and little girl . Good chance you'll be heading down south to get things organised and will have to be apart temporarily.
Just the way I see it. Fingers crossed for you!
Good though in that in the beginning your wife was totally against moving . Sometimes when you think you can't have something - you really want it!
Sounds like you're both over the initial disappointment and now are sticking together to face the new challenges. How good is that!
Hey Dave , given you've had your ups and downs in the past , take the opportunity for the next few difficult days of waiting to impress her with your calm/ cool attitude - pretend. Just an idea ...
Let us know when you hear whatever.
When this sort of thing happens to me , (and it has , I'm in my fifties , it's just life trust me) I just keep saying " whatever is meant to be will be" - hope this helps in any way.
I'm glad there maybe light at the end of the tunnel, I know how much this has affected you. Whatever happens you are a kind, caring, compassionate and thoughtful person. Your self worth is not measured by possessions but who you are as a person. That's what matters most to your family especially your daughter. A solution will present itself, maybe not exactly what you've hoped for, but you maybe surprised.
Take care my friend