FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Wife and daughter suffering with depression

Groucho_Marx
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all,

This is my first posting. My wife (now 60) has been suffering from depression since here early 20s (when it was diagnosed at least) and in the last six months our only child, a 14 yr old girl, has been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder, depression and OCD.

I'm interested in becoming a volunteer for beyondblue, given my experience. I'm in my 60s, work part-time, so I have time available.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1 Reply 1

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Groucho,

Welcome and it is nice to meet you. I am very happy to hear that you want to volunteer because there are so many people who could use your help and experience. That said, I am also very sad to hear that you and your family have had a difficult time, and I really hope that they are finding the support that they need.

For volunteering, I saw that this page (https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-involved/volunteer-with-us) says BB is not currently taking volunteers but one way that can really help is just to generally get involved in the forums. There are many posters who, like yourself, have their own personal experiences with depression and anxiety, and I am sure would certainly welcome your thoughts and support.

The BB forums are a peer support space which means everyone is invited to support each other. Personally, it is something that I find really rewarding because we can build these little connections and help each other through. Perhaps there may be some threads that really strike home for you as well, and which you would want to post a reply to.

Let me know if you have any questions!

James