FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What's in a name

kanga_brumby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
My darling son (15 years old) wants to change his surname. Not because of my relationship to him, but because he is being picked on by other students at school. It's only because his mother's surname was added to mine on his registration of birth. He gets picked on because of that. Because Of my medical conditions he has been placed in care, I am ok with this. But he hardly talks to me now, especially on the important things like this. I just don't know how to get him to open up. Where is that magic wand I keep hearing about, to fix things. I want it NOW. to fix this.
2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi

Us humans have a level of ability. We believe automatically however that we can excel beyond this level where it counts...our children.

My own view is, if he changed his name to any other name he'd still be bullied for something else. Its the pack mentality and most of us know what that is like.

If his school allows him to change his school name then why not?. Let the school know about how he is being treated.

Apart from that view l have no further advice. What l would like to say however is how amazing you are to accept that he is in care and you are ok with that. You know his welfare is paramount. You are putt I ng him first and he'll realise that one day and give you more time.

A friend of mine has a son that likes apple cakes. He drops one into his school once a month with "love dad" on the packet. He leaves it at the front desk. Small things make children feel special.

Tony WK

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Kanga

I agree with Tony on this one.

At 15 your son has all the hormones and peer group issues occurring let alone his academic performance as well

If he wants to change his name it may bring him some peace of mind.

I understand you are going through a lot Kanga. I hope that when he gets through this pressure cooking phase he come and visits his dad.

Take good care

my kindest

Paul