FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What do I do?

Jane_J
Community Member
I am living with abusive family members who have been abusing me sexually, physically and emotionally for 28 years. My health has been destroyed so badly that I am unable to work. I cannot leave as I have no money. What do I do?
6 Replies 6

Sophie_M
Hi Jane. We're deeply concerned to hear you are living in an abusive situation and have asked our Support Service to reach out to you via email. 

We also encourage you to connect with the counsellors at 1800 RESPECT, either by phone or online chat, as they can help you with information and resources to find altermate accommodation.

You do not have to go through this alone, there are people who care and will support you. 

Jane_J
Community Member
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I have already exhausted all the alternative accommodation options in my area. I have called all the shelters multiple times over the last year and they have never had any space available. Public housing has a 3000 person long waiting list where I live. I have slept in my car many times but I ended up with a kidney infection so I had to stop doing that.

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Jane_J,

Sounds like you have tried to receive help and that your situation is deplorable.

Are family members aware of what is happening to you? Do you have any relatives that could help you?

Are yo able to apply for Centrelink assistance so you can move out?

Have you thought about talking to the police about your situation? No abuse is acceptable. No matter who is causing the abuse.

I really do hope you are able to get some assistance!

From Dools

Jane_J
Community Member
Thank you for your reply. The only family I have are the ones perpetrating the abuse. I have applied to Centrelink but the allowance is nowhere near enough to cover even the most basic rent. I don't want to talk to the police - the process would be so traumatic and i don't want to be responsible for putting people in jail. I don't know what to do. Thank you for listening to me though.

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Jane_J,

I'm not sure what else to suggest. Have you tried contact the service Sophie mentioned, the RESPECT organisation?

Could you call the police anonymously, they may have some suggestions on services you can access.

I believe Centrelink can help with rent assistance, is that still not enough to help you? I do realise in some places the cost of renting is ridiculous.

Could you consider share accommodation?

Sorry to read you have no other family members to support you.

Are there Church groups you could contact and ask if they have emergency housing options? You may well have tried this as well.

I do wish I had some answers for you!

Regards from Dools

Jay_C
Community Member
I would share accommodation with you. I want to get away from mine as well. I dont think i can work until I've had significant time away from them. I got 2 dogs and only centrelink pay, was raised codependant, makes it hard