FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What are we to do?

Anon2118
Community Member

My husband is facing redundancy we have 2 kids under 4 and a mortgage I am unemployed at the moment and I fear we'll be homeless and lose everything we've ever worked for.

I just don't even know where to start...

I've already applied for every job possible with nothing of offer just yet... What else can I do? I'm finding it extremely difficult to sleep and switch off my anxiety and stress of losing everything...

3 Replies 3

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Anon, I'm really sorry to hear what you have told us, with two young kids under 2 it must be a frightening time for you.

There are a couple of things that you need to do, contact Centrelink, show the redundancy letter so that some payment can start.

As soon as you contact them, then any payment will be made from that date, and even backdated.

Next, go and have a chat with the bank, they will try and accommodate your circumstances as best as possible, at the moment they have no intention of kicking you out.

Can I also suggest you both go and see your GP, they can offer you a mental health plan, which will entitle the two of you a 10 Medicare paid sessions each.

Contact all your utilities and register your Centrelink number, then you will receive any discount on all of them.

Please get back to me.

Geoff.

Anon2118
Community Member

Thank you for your response it has been incredibly helpful and has eased my anxiety immensely.

I have just received a casual job and will be talking with our bank this week together, hoping with a clear head we can tackle through this.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Anon, I'm pleased to know that you have some casual work, but remember you maybe still entitled to a type of payment from Centrelink.

Geoff.