FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Too young for a baby or family just being unsupportive

Rhicooper7
Community Member

Hi i'm 19 years turning 20 at the moment and I am in a relationship with my boyfriend who is 22 turning 23. We have been together for almost 2 years and we love each other a lot, we live together and feel very certain that this relationship is long term. We have had casual discussions about marriage and kids and both definitely want the same things in those areas, he has mentioned that maybe by the end of next year he would like us to be engaged and get married hopefully sometime within the following year and then start a family basically straight after. That would make me 21 or 22 and him 24 or 25 I haven't told anyone this especially my parents because they have very strong opinions about having kids young and especially don't want me to, they have already disapproved of my choice to move an hour away from them to live with my boyfriend as he cant leave his job and i was in a position to leave mine. I want to live my life the way I want to but i'm scared that my parents will reject me and my baby. Their approval of me is really important and I want them to be proud of me I don't know what to do have my baby and try to deal with their opinions or wait any advice would be greatly appreciated

1 Reply 1

Guest909
Community Member

You said that you were thinking of getting married some time later next year. If that is the case, why don't you delay your decision until you are married.

By that time you will be in your early twenties and your parent will be a lot more accepting in the knowledge that you are in a long term stable relationship. Give yourself some time; everything will fall into place.