FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Tired of being lectured by my mother

mchops
Community Member

Once again, the same thing has happened like it does every time I drive with my mother in the car. I’m on my green Ps. She often gives me good advice on my driving, but while I’m driving that stresses me out and distracts me, and I panic thinking I did something really wrong. And every Sunday driving her home from the shops we’d always have a fight and I’d yell at her to stop lecturing me about my driving. I don’t know another way to communicate to her, she just won’t listen until she realises how mad she’s made me. I’m hot tempered, but when I cool down I do realise when/why I deserved to be lectured. But I’m an adult in my 20s, and I do not appreciate unwarranted advice all the time, especially knowing the way I’ll react to it.

Today was particularly unfair because I didn’t make a single mistake, yet she still found something to lecture about, and it was about a different driver who was swerving and not indicating. I was aware of that and drove safely. But frankly, this week’s lecture wasn’t even to do with my driving and yet she still found a way to make a big deal out of it. I was infuriated and yelled at her to stop. I am so frustrated. And she’ll always say she won’t lecture again, only to pick at something and lecture me again next week, and make me mad again. It’s a shame because we were having a good day until then. We only have one car, I cannot save up enough yet to get another.

To summarise, I feel angry, frustrated, accused, criticised. If I speak nicely to calmly and assertively, she might listen, but that doesn’t stop her from lecturing me again tomorrow. Screaming hasn’t stopped her either. I know there are heaps of more serious parent issues on this forum but it’s these small things that drive me crazy, ultimately affecting the relationship. 

Anyone with advice on how to deal with a parent lecturing? It’s probably out of love blah blah blah but it’s driving me insane I don’t even want to be in the same space as her anymore. Help!

7 Replies 7

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

We are of course talking about - safety because anger behind the wheel isnt ideal and general nit picking that some parents cannot stop. For those two reasons exercise you adulthood and introduce boundaries. The best remedy of boundary is no longer have her in the car, avoid it at all costs unless a health problem.

You are in your 20's but some parents will act like that when you are 50. For that reason create distance which could mean moving out if you are still living at home... as a suggestion.

TonyWK

Hi White Knight,

You are right, it’s time to exercise boundaries. Actually, because of this incident, I decided to finally drive without her - and I was fine. She usually sits with me like as if I’m an L plate, but if I’m to become an independent driver I need to drive without her. And true, the nitpicking probably won’t go away, and moving out is unfortunately not financially possible at the moment, but fingers crossed it will one day.

Thank you for your time and advice. It’s well appreciated:)

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thankyou for replying. 

TonyWK 

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi mchops,

At first I thought “you are learning to drive, she is just trying to teach you” but then I realized you are on your green P’s so have already been through your L’s and red P’s and are a pretty independent driver by this stage. When we are growing up, it’s the job of our parents to keep us safe and they take that job very seriously because they love us and it’s their responsibility. But some people don’t know how to let that go as we get older. Their “guidance” can often take the form of criticism and disapproval to get us to do what they want. It sounds like this is the place your mother is coming from, which is understandably frustrating and makes you feel attacked. I would try and keep this in mind with your dealings with her, and also set some boundaries as Tony suggested. As she sees that you are mature and responsible and capable of making the best decisions for your life she will have no choice but to back off. Rather than meeting her with anger and flying off the handle, I would suggest a) limiting the time she has in the car with you and b) speaking assertively to say “I appreciate your suggestions but I’ve got this”. That will instill a sense of confidence in her and shut her down at the same time.

mchops
Community Member

Hi Juliet_84,

Thanks for your reply. I sat down and had an assertive chat with her and it worked. I still have to drive with her there but now she doesn’t criticise me anymore. It’s also a great chance to show her that I’m capable.

Again, I really appreciate and thank you for your time.

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yay that’s great news!! I think they worry when they think we don’t have things under control, but when we assure them we do and have a plan and are confident it can put them at ease. I’m glad this issue seems to be resolved for you and let’s hope that continues! 

David35
Community Member

Not all back seat drivers sit in the back...