FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Tech take over

Beattheblues
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I feel like technology is taking over our family time. i bust my butt all day at work only to come home to a messy house whinging kids and the wife is on the couch attached to Facebook. i deal with the 2 kids, cook everyone's dinner and dish it up at the table, she's still on the computer or her phone. while eating dinner as a family she's on her phone. i bath the kids and put them to bed still quite often with my work boots on. then when everything settles down and I'm ready to sit on the couch and finally wind down, I'm attacked for not helping, not doing the dishes, sweeping the floors, putting washing in the machine.

Is there an easy answer? can it be as simple as enforcing tech free time from 6-8pm to get the important stuff out of the way? am i just fighting a losing battle? that's what it feels like...

2 Replies 2

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi,

Wow, that's full on. Sorry to hear you're going through this. May I ask how old your children are? My older kids are 14 and 13, attached to their electronics but no electronics are allowed at the table when wee are eating. I think eating dinner should be "family time" talk about your day or we watch a game show on and play and have some fun.

personally, I think your wife needs to grow up and take some responsibility for the kids and household. I can't believe she is home and yet you are doing everything ie cooking, bathing kids etc. maybe the wifi shoukd be switched off for a while so she can help out a bit.

cmf

Apollo_Black
Community Member

I think you should google Athol Kay and his philosophy about being the Captain. He has some really good books, forum and even is available for coaching.

i wouldn't bother posting if I didn't think this would help. Good luck.

My only question is this, have you told her you expect her to get off her phone?