FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Struggling

Unsure_
Community Member
I’ve thought about joining this forum for a long time but then the thoughts in my head “you’ll be right” or “just suck it up” got the better of me. For the past 5 years I’ve been in an emotionally abusive relationship (I’m definitely one of those people that have recognised all the warning signs but chosen to remain confident that things would change but they haven’t) a month ago I was able to gain the courage (from the way I saw how my relationship was effecting my children) to tell my partner I couldn’t do this anymore, of course it didn’t go down well but the living separation has happened and I feel like I can slightly breathe again for the very first time in a long time... it has all taken it’s toll though for the past 5 years I’ve been severely isolated from family and I have no close friends anymore as they’ve all been pushed away, the confidence I used to have is non existent and I don’t even feel as though I can have conversations with people anymore, I’m extremely anxious, I can’t concentrate and I’m very forgetful... sometimes I seriously feel like I’m going crazy.. I cry a lot and could seriously just lay in bed all day if I had the chance... I’m capable of putting on a good front so I can work, I work extremely hard but never feel as though enough is enough...and I’m my own worst critic. I have 2 children and I feel as though my mind is so distant that when they talk to me I can’t remember what they’ve told me...I’m really struggling with life at the moment, I feel as though in the past five years my soul has just been destroyed and I don’t even know myself anymore. I don’t even recognise me, I feel no enjoyment in anything, it’s hard...I’m now 33 and I feel so ashamed for letting myself get like this
3 Replies 3

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Unsure and warm welcome to Beyond Blue forums

Sounds like you've had a hard time for the past 5 years. No wonder you are finding it hard to concentrate, that you find you forget things, want to lie in bed all day and just cry. All sounds very reasonable to me for what you have been through. My heart goes out to you Unsure.

Abusive relationships are the pits. They can reduce your self esteem, self worth, confidence. And what I have personally the most difficult over time was the isolation from friends. It is all part of a pattern of their behaviour to maintain control.

It sounds like you are doing an awesome job Unsure - you continue to work. That is so important. Good on you. There are so many things that you'll be going through over the coming months. By the way you are not going crazy, you are experiencing what everyone does that goes through the same thing. It is normal to feel the way you are.

To be honest, I don't know why you are ashamed. Generally, this is how the abuser makes one feel. Puts all the blame and guilt onto the person they abuse.

Do you have any holidays owing at work so you can take some time off to focus on yourself? Even if it is just for laying in bed for a week to recover from the past 5 years?

Getting your life back on track will take a little time. There's no rush is there? You've two children to love and care for. Maybe you three need some special time together for a while??

To have someone to talk to is good. Since you've been isolated for awhile now, have you thought about going to see someone? Like a health professional? Or phoning or chatting to one of the support services -

1800 RESPECT (ie 1800 737732)

Beyond Blue 1300 224 636 (to chat 3pm-12am go to www.beyondblue.org.au)

Lifeline 13 11 14 (to chat do a google search for the Lifeline in your state for details)

Keep reaching out Unsure if and when you want to. You're not alone.

Kind regards

PamelaR

Unsure_
Community Member

Thankyou PamelaR

Your response has really helped me get through today and from your response I decided to reach out to a friend from work. It felt extremely good to get some things off my chest. I feel like I can slightly breathe

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Unsure

Thank you for the update. I'm so pleased to hear you have reached out to someone. The power of talking can never be underestimated.

I continue to find that myself. For 2 weeks I've been mulling something over in my head, going further and further into a spiral. Finally, I said a word to hubby, like - I've something on my mind. And he said, yes what is it. I backed off a little, but he persisted gently. Then it all came tumbling out - very powerful. Felt so much better afterwards.

Glad you can breathe again 🙂

Kind regards

PamelaR