FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Struggling with regret after having a conversation

Katerina03
Community Member

Hi, I'm a 25yr old woman.

Recently I have been struggling a lot with regret after having conversations with people. Growing up I used to be an extrovert young girls and didn't think much about the conversations I was having. I just said anything and everything that I wanted to talk about. 

Fast forward in my 20s I started to notice people were careful around me and didn't want to say much in fear I would share their secrets or their conversations.

It made me go back into my shell and reflected back to all the years and my being over talkative. Right now I question everything I say, my self esteem is low. I am very watchful of people's body languages when I speak to them, I pay attention to their tone when they respond to me and it makes me scared to talk. I want this feeling to go away because it's eating me up inside. I don't want to be talkative anymore but just how can I get rid of the regret?

2 Replies 2

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Katerina03,

I think it’s perfectly fine to be talkative, in fact I love talkative people. You always have something interesting to say and it takes a lot of the pressure off the other person to carry the conversation. However, there is quite a difference between being talkative and sharing things that people have told you within the confines of that conversation with other people. Has there been some instances where you have breached people’s trust to make them feel as though they need to be cautious around you? If so and you want to patch things up with these people I suggest being honest and straightforward and saying “hey I just wanted to let you know that in the past I have gotten carried away in conversations and at times have overshared things that were not my business to share, and I’m truly sorry for that. I wanted to assure you that it’s something I’m aware of and it won’t happen again.” People need to feel safe to share things with you and I think this will go some way to making them feel more comfortable with that. If no one has, you can of course try and censor yourself but people can be quite good at picking those things up and it may come across as disingenuous.

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Katerina03

I think when we wake up to the need to read everyone and everything it can be either exciting or tormenting or sometimes a bit of both. I've found it's also something that can become obsessive in a way. If we want to learn to read people and situations, the best way to learn is through practice or practicing. Once you get the hang of it, it can be hard to stop doing it (which is the obsessive part). You just naturally start tapping into people and situations.

Now that you've become conscious of the need to read people (get a sense of their nature, the vibe they give off, what they're saying, what you feel you can say to them and around them etc), it's now a matter of who you're becoming. If you can say 'I'm becoming someone who's far more conscious than I was before', there is also the chance to say 'The old me simply wasn't as conscious. I forgive the old me as I put her behind me. She did not know what I know now'. Be kind to your past self. As you become more sensitive there is an up side and a down side to this. The upside involves being able to sense what inspires you or leads you to advance or feel 'up' or an up shift, the down side can be about tapping into what can feel depressing or what leads you to feel 'down' or a down shift. Sounds strange but it's about getting a feel for the shifts and what or who triggers them.

When it comes to a sense of guilt, I like to see guilt as a form of guidance. I see a sense of guilt as asking me 'Who do you want to be from this moment onward, that person or this?'. Guilt tells me I want to be this person, someone more aware. I thank guilt and let it go until it comes to serve me again.

Now you know who you don't want to be, you can now be 'Someone who is in the process of becoming highly conscious' and that's something to be proud of. A new part of you has come to life. You can say you have graduated to next level awareness. And if you ever feel the need to reassure anyone, you can give yourself the freedom to say 'Have no fear, I am far more conscious than ever before'.

An important note: If you're now in the process of learning to read people, make sure you surround yourself with some really good, inspirational, kind hearted supportive folk on occasion. If you're getting a feel for people, it can be a relief to separate the good vibes from the bad on occasion, otherwise all you'll be feeling is judgement.