FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Struggling mum with special needs child

Lauren_79
Community Member

First time poster and really not sure what I’m expecting to get out of this.

3 years ago I finally separated from my verbally and sometimes physically abusive alcoholic husband.
2 years ago items bought to my attention my son (7yo) had problems at school and with behavioural issues that would preventing him to have the ability to learn.

After Paedeatrician appointments, school appointments, psychologist appointments and what felt like hundreds of questionnaires I quit my full time job to focus on my boys needs.
my life for the last 2 and a half years has been focused solely around helping him. Several therapies during school and after school, 18months of trialling up to 7 different medications and countless combinations of these medications.
endless meltdown, emotional and physical. I’m not sure many know what it’s like to have your 7,8,9 year old child verbally and physically abuse you. It breaks you. It’s broken me.
this weekend I Hit rock bottom. I’ve only been here a few times, and it’s like I’m in a black hole that I don’t want to, or can’t, come out of. I can’t communicate with my children or my husband. I can’t function to do my job. I can’t stop crying. I just want to sleep until it all passes.

5 Replies 5

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Lauren I completely understand what you are going through and no how hard it is for you.I have two children with special needs an 8 y.o son with Autism and ADHD and 16 y.o daughter with Aspergers.I have struggled to find support in the school.Their answer is to send my son home which is usually at lunch time.I know about trying to find a medication that works.My son has been on many different ones,some that work for a short time,some that dont work and some that made him worst.Their is an appointment for one my kids from psychiatrist,psychologist,physio,doctors ect.I have had the verbal abuse and it isnt easy and i find people dont understand and they think i am a bad parent when i am not.I was wondering if your so still sees his father and you get a weekend to yourself to regroup and maby do something special yourself.I understand it has not been easy for you with your ex being an alcoholic and abusive.Have you spoken to your doctor but how you are struggling?I have and have seen a psychologist.

Take care,

Mark.

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Lauren_79

I'm sorry to hear you are sitting in a tough space at the moment- we know posting during tough times can be hard. Please know you aren't alone and what you feel is valid. We are caring, non-judgemental space where you can find peer support, general advice, and a like-minded community. Like Matchy_69 has kindly suggested, it might be a good idea to seek out some structured help, as a part of your self-care and mental health resilience. These threads can help you find resources and staying well yourself, respectively: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/treatments-health-professionals-and-therapie... and https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well. You are free to keep chatting here too- we are here to listen.

Sending kindness and compassion,

Tay100

Hi Mark

Im forever thankful at how helpful his school has been. They are amazing and supportive.

Thankfully the kids spend every second weekend and are back to spending every wed night also at their fathers house.

Lauren_79
Community Member
Thank you very much. I will look into these.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Lauren thats great the school has been very supportive for you.I am glad your son still sees his father.It is very important for him to still seem him and be apart of his life.And it gives you a chance to have a break and i know how much you need it.

Take care,

Mark.