FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Steps to leave Narcissistic Family?

Jay_C
Community Member
Im male, was raised co-dependant and the scapegoat of a narcissistic family. They are effecting my life and health.
I have nobody for support as i just attracted more narcissists which ive slowly cut off. Its now down to an ex gf who calls and my family.
Im on the dole, i have 2 dogs so it seems hard to find anything suitable. I dont trust people to live with. I've never moved out on my own accord, so i dont even know how to do it all. There has been stalking intimidation but its stopped for now. I can only guess it will start again when i leave.

Is there a way for me to leave my narcissistic family? What steps should i take?
2 Replies 2

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Jay C~

Welcome here to the Forum. You sound as if you have been in a very difficult situation for a fair while and are stuck as to what to do. Certainly getting out of a toxic environment is something to aim for.

Trying to do anything on you own is daunting and hard, and if you have been the person blamed all the time your self-confidence is most probably right down. This makes change even harder.

I'd suggest giving Relationships Australia a ring in your area and have a talk to them. They are friendly, experienced and can give practical advice.

Please let us know how you get on

Croix

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Jay C,

Thanks for your post.

I kind of wish there was a 4 step program, and maybe there is, but I haven't found it. Family is forever complicated, so deciding to break ties with them is going to be forever complicated as well.

I think if there was a program though, the first step would have to be looking at the type of relationship you want with your family. Do you want to cut all ties, with no contact whatsoever? What about birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, deaths? Or would you prefer to temporarily minimise contact? Only you can decide what that looks like for you, and then how you can make that work.

Croix mentioned Relationship Australia - although any counselling I think might be helpful. You mentioned that you attracted more narcissists in your life so being able to break all those patterns might be something a therapist can help you with.

You mentioned too about moving out, how do you think we might be able to help you out with that too?