FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Stay or go?

Alyciae
Community Member

I have been with my partner for 3 years. We have so much fun, but in the last year we have had some stressful things happen and we haven’t been the best supports to each other. As a result of this, every week we will butt heads and have a disagreement. These usually start with me being short (either annoyed by something he has/hasn’t done), cracking the shits over something minor or one of us not getting out needs met. I know I wasn’t being the best partner. I have just found out that he had formed an emotional relationship with someone from work and this had been going on for the past few months. I’m obviously beside myself, but since we weren’t in the best place I can see how emotional needs were being met elsewhere (I don’t agree with any of this). I’m now a few months on from finding out and he has done well with trying to build things back. However, when we now argue I feel so isolated because I have no one I can openly talk to about any of this as I don’t want my friends/families opinion of him or me for staying to change. 

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Couples differ as to their boundaries. Some dont discuss boundaries until their unspoken boundary is breached which is the reverse of what it should be.

Eg My wife and I knew each other 25 years before we married 13 years ago. So we knew each other as best mates. She knew and I confirmed when we dated that emotionally I'm closer to females than males. I am more at ease but that doesnt mean I'd form an emotional attachment beyond what is appropriate and we went into detail what was inappropriate. Then there would be no misunderstanding.

With young couples these boundaries can be breached as part of getting to know each other or issues like what you experienced., troubles at home, short fuses and so on. If you can recover from these straying tendencies that arent affairs then there is for some couples an acceptance in the long run of mistakes and temptations that you both can recover from. The decision to move forward is one that only each individual can make.

So its your call, will you allow his temptation on this occasion to happen be forgiven with the reassurance it wont happen again? Can he understand and accept that the stresses in your life were such that the relationship suffered to a point whereby he was unhappy and took that course?

These two crucial question can be best answered at a counsellor and you'd be amazed how effective it can be. Also a GP visit to assess your mental health with anxiety and other issues would be beneficial. Often we go to the GP when its too late.

I think you both have a good chance of recovery from this period and you might need to reassess your arguments and how to recover from them quickly. Here below is a post I wrote a long time ago dealing with how to deal with arguments and it really does work if you both stick to the process.

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/relationship-and-family-issues/relationship-strife-the-peace-pip...

Good luck and thanks for posting

Repost anytime

TonyWK