FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

some guidance or support needed for someone who has a partner possibly with BPD? schizophrenia?

Miss_Firefly
Community Member

Ok. So i don't even know where to start here. So i'll try keep it to the point and elaborate if and where required.

I have been with my partner for 6 years. it has been turbulent at its worst and heavenly at its best. after much research online about his behavior and issues we have had, it seems to match bpd and i had word from a friend who knows his family and it was passed down to me to her from his sister that he has schizophrenia.

Now before i go on, i know he has had some issues in the past from his childhood which helps me understand his behaviours. and i love him regardless.

I dont think i have the energy to go into everything now to be honest after the day i have had, i am struggling myself with the situation.

Is there a support group for partners suffering this illness that i can talk to? or the phone?

I really wanted to reach out here but my energy levels have drained. luckily i had an awesome friend with me today who had experience with a family member having bipolar who helped me avoid what could have been a very dramatic confrontation when i was face to face (almost) with him and another woman (who was said she was his ex girlfriend) long story... always is huh?

i think i need a professionals advice. i need to do what is right for me and to do that i need to understand a bit more about the illness directly related to a relationship...

i want to also add (without sounding cocky) that i am proud of myself today for holding back and not confronting him and flying off the handle (which also relates back to major trust issues on my side) which i acknowledge as well...

Thank you for reading and i hope i can get some people reaching out who can guide me in the right direction..

xo

1 Reply 1

SarahZ
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Miss Firefly,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for reaching out!

I'm really sorry to hear that you are feeling exhausted and low in energy trying to be supportive of your partner. It must also been very confusing and hurtful seeing him with another woman today. I have a relative that suffers from schizophrenia so I definitely understand how turbulent it can sometimes be trying to provide support for someone who sometimes doesn't understand the impacts of their words and behaviours. However, it's really great to see how strong you are in taking the time and energy to better understand his condition.

You might be interested in approaching Carers Australia VIC (https://www.carersvictoria.org.au/) to seek some assistance. They not only provide counselling but also have various support groups you can check out. Alternatively, please feel free to contact the Beyond Blue Support Service on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 3pm-12am AEST at www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport .

You should definitely be feeling proud of yourself in what must have been a very confusing situation today. Trust is a critical component of any relationship, and it always hurts whenever we find that trust faltering. Please remember to take care of yourself ~ stay hydrated, nourished, and make sure you feel supported with family and friends!

Wishing you the very best and please feel free to reach out whenever you feel up to it ~