FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Short relationship, BPD split said hurtful things, unsure if should still chase him or I ruined it

3x1st3nt14lCr1s1s
Community Member

Seeing this guy for about 3 months. The first 2 wks he was always telling me I was beautiful, perfect, said he seen us having a good life together, and even told me he loves me really early on once.  But it tapered, he stopped saying those things even after I spoke to him about it. The honeymoon period doesn't last forever, but it felt so cut short and un natural, he did tell me his ex cheated and I was sus of trust issues, but if it was something that was affecting him or the relationship why didn't he speak up? I felt he wasn't giving me a chance, and I started to feel around 2 mth that he wasn't serious or didn't like me that much anymore. I tried to hold back lashing out as he was still seeing me frequently and even left a toothbrush and soap, but I am at a low point in my life in my rural home town I didn't plan staying in before him, and want to make goals and felt like he was the only thing I had going so I wanted to know where he stood and what he was looking for in the future. It took a while to rock the boat and pose the whole what are we question, and he was suprised when I did because he thought things were chill, but that's my whole point. He said he hasn't explicitly thought about us and future, he'd think about it bc he didn't want to say the wrong thing and reply when he seen me next, but he didn't so I started to lose my cool and told him I need to know about where he stands and commitment now because being in limbo kills me. He said that he thinks I should move if I'm considering it and it's the relationship that is keeping me here and I said if that weren't on the table then we'd just keep going like we are, which for me was physically seeing each other but I felt so emotionally detached and couldn't handle the ambiguity anymore. I split hard, and told him over the phone I haven't liked him for the last month, he went quiet and then hung up when I spoke again. I then sent a bunch of mixed intense texts attacking his character and also begging him to call me back and that I like him so much for about a day. No reply, no answers. I still haven't heard anything from him, I have his stuff here and want to give it back, but he lives with his parents and I'm not ready to be rejected if he doesn't want to speak to me, but I'm also not sure it's something worth pursuing or I ruined it. It has been 2 days since we spoke, I'm not sure if I should wait for it to cool down as he hasn't blocked me even after all the texts. What should I do? 

4 Replies 4

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

You're question "did I ruin it"? Well, if he treats you like you ruined it then he isnt committed to saving it. Certainly you arent going to get an answer to the big picture of whether the relationship can be saved as we dont know the fellow but being a relatively short relationship (still heart shattering) it doesnt appear from reading your post that it's working out naturally eg with so much work on your part.

Sometimes we chase the dream and that person isnt the dream, its like making the square fit into the round whole.

I hope you feel better soon and yes time heals. Here is a thread I wrote about getting over a realtionship. Hope it helps.

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/the-best-praise-you-ll-ever-get/td-p/134999

TonyWK

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello, in a relationship sometimes we never know who has caused it to soar, however they can blame each other for doing this, but when the honeymoon period tapers off and you still desperately love one another the situation does alter but certainly not the way he is behaving.

You are only wanting to clarify this relationship, that's all, but he's not obliging, so there are always plenty of people who want to share their love with someone else.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Thank you so much, this really helped and I appreciate your reply 

Hey there, thank you so much for your reply, it's really nice to have another perspective.