FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Shift work

Man with no name
Community Member

Hi all, My partner has recently had to start shift work at her job. This means I am alone with our kids (9&12) a lot each week. It can be a real struggle and my mental health suffers. Don't get me wrong, I love being a father and enjoy doing everything with the kids. While I enjoy time to myself I cant help but feel that i am doing so much as a single father. I feel that I do not have much support, i'm alone.

I don't know what to do to change it. Her work can't change. Feeling stuck.

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi,welcome

I understand. I worked most of my working life doing shifts, not pleasant and no quality of life.

However, that doesn’t help you when she can’t change her job.

My suggestion is to search high and low for a hobby/sport. With sports maybe supporting the local footy/crickets club like my friend that cooks the bangers every Thursday night and his kids run around having fun. Or a hobby that you bring out when the kids are asleep, distraction is a major remedy that is largely under rated.

Id normally suggest she look for non shift work job as that would be the best fix.

Please google

beyondblue topic distraction and variety

TonyWK