FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Seperation anxiety whilst partner is on holiday

Doctor who_aspy
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

so my partner who i have been with for 6 years and living with for 6 months left to go on holiday for 2 months this past sunday. It has only been a few days and i am crying all the time and my anxiety is is all over the place. everyone i know is telling me to stop crying and that he will be back in no time at all but i cant stop crying and wishing he was home. we wont be able to contact each other much as he has limited access to social media and his phone card does not work.

does anyone have any advice for me? i am not a very social person and i have asperger's as well which makes change hard for me.

is this normal to be feeling this way?

4 Replies 4

solabear
Community Member

Hi there and welcome to the forum

Good on you reaching out to others when you are experiencing difficulties. It does sound like you suffer from anxiety, but I can't make a diagnosis as I am not qualified. I would go and see my GP and discuss it with him/her. I'm sorry that you feel this way sweetie, I'm not sure how I can help, but I'm here to listen.

Would you like to tell us more about you? Only if you want to. You can ask and share anything. We understand.

Sola xx

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Doctor who_aspy,

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry that you're struggling with this anxiety while your partner is away; it sounds like it's really hard on you and it must be frustrating not being able to contact him.

It sounds like it's very normal to be feeling this way. I'm guessing by your post that your partner doesn't leave much so it's certainly a big time for him to be away. Plus I know that change can be very hard for people with Asperger's too. Was this trip something you talked about a lot? Where about's is your partner going?

Have you ever felt this way before? Sometimes dealing with separation anxiety can be a lot like any other anxiety; finding things that keep us calm, learning to breathe slowly, working on the inner self-talk and keeping focused on other helpful activities. It's okay if your not a social person, but maybe there are other things you like to do that can keep your mind occupied and help this be an easier time.

Here's a link too that might be able to help. There's a few relaxation exercises as well as a booklet on some things that help for anxiety -

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/recovery-and-staying-well/relaxation-exercises

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Doctor who_aspy, what concerns me is why he went away without taking you, whether you couldn't get time off work or whatever you do during the day, or whether he isn't feeling well and needed a break, so hope you can get back to us. Geoff.

there are a few reasons why i didnt go: *i recently started an apprenticeship and cant get 2 months off,i can't afford it and i have to look after the house.

he has been planning this trip for a while. every 4 years Scouts have a World Moot which is basically where all the scouts in the world can meet up for a 6 week camp which is in iceland this year. he has wanted to go for a while so it wasnt a surprise that he went. i was more surprised by my reaction. I knew it would be hard but for me life is hard as i suffer from Panic Attacks on a regular basis and they can be mild or to the point i make myself sick.

i have had varying responses from my family and a few friends. mainly saying that i shouldn't be reacting like this and its not like he is dying he is just on holiday. in saying that they don't have panic disorder do it is hard for them to know what i feel.