FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Separation due to Covid

peacock
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi, my only son is in the army. I only get to see him at Xmas as he is based interstate. He was in Afghanistan for nine months this year. He was due to have six weeks leave with us from 11 December. He arrived as planned but after only ten days he was ordered to fly back to base due to Covid. I am really struggling with this as I have been looking forward to his trip all year. I keep crying and am so sad it is hard to take. I’m not looking forward to Xmas now at all. I just wish we could see him.
8 Replies 8

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hi Peacock

Its been a tough year for most people. As an ex serviceman I bet you're proud as punch of your son.

I'd ask him if you can ring him over Xmas more often than normal. I'd also express ways to show your live to him in unique ways like poetry or letters. Some patents make scrap books etc.

We are here over Xmas. Keep talking.

TonyWK

missep123
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi peacock,

I'm really sorry to hear that this has happened. I agree with TonyWK though, I bet you are so proud of your son.

Would you be able to video call him? Perhaps seeing his face might make you feel a bit better?

We are here for you, especially during this challenging time

Thanks for your reply. I will definitely give him a face time call on Xmas day. Yes I’m extremely proud of him and what he does for our country. It’s never easy having a loved one in the army but he loves what he is doing so I’m glad for him. This Covid pandemic has caused so much suffering and loss but I think we’ve done so well compared to other countries

Hi peacock,

I wanted to check in with you and see how everything went!
Here fore you!

peacock
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi there. Thanks for checking in on me. I had a FaceTime call with my son on Xmas Day and it was lovely. After that we went to a friends place for lunch. I still feel a bit flat but I often feel like this over Xmas. I hope things get better as the days pass. I often struggle with a low mood but I’m getting better at managing it these days. These forums are very helpful. Thanks again!

Hi peacock!

That sounds so lovely! I think it's great that you were able to do things that made you happy and that you enjoyed your day. It can be tough during Christmas, there is almost the expectation that you have to be very animated but honestly everyone feels and celebrates differently!

I'm so glad you are managing your low mood better, what have you been doing? 🙂

peacock
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi missep123. I’ve been keeping active, going to the gym and going for runs. I find exercise very helpful for managing low moods. I plan to FaceTime my son tomorrow to wish him Happy New Year. I really miss him but I know it will get easier as it always does. Thanks for being here for me, I really appreciate it

Hi peacock!

That's really great that you have been keeping active and going to the gym and going for runs! That's absolutely fantastic. Especially considering when we are feeling low it can be so hard to get motivated but after exercising I feel better. I love those endorphins!

How was the FaceTime with your son? I know that it has been challenging but I think it's really great that you are doing everything you can to try to make the situation easier for yourself. The quote I like to think to myself is 'This too shall pass', it gives me comfort knowing that with each step I take it takes me to the end of the challenging situation and I can move on from it! I hope that makes sense.

No problem! I am definitely here for you 🙂