FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Relationships - romantic and family

BenD
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi guys

Checking in for a vent.

Had a very tough family session with my siblings and mum last Thursday (re: my parents divorce last year) and had to take Friday off work. My boss is a bit of a dinosaur so I'm sort of stressed about him grilling me tomorrow about calling in sick on a Friday but really what can I do. Me being healthy will probably save him money in the long term anyway.

On top of that I broke up with my girlfriend of 9 months on Friday. We were just always arguing and she wanted commitment that I couldn't give her. Still sucks though.

So basically I'm feeling pretty crap about facing emotions to do with the divorce, pretty sad about breaking up with my girlfriend and somewhat anxious about the work situation.

3 Replies 3

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Ben

You certainly have a lot to deal with at the moment.

was the family session about your parents divorce to clear the air, to let you know what was happening or to give everyone a chance to talk.

When you say family session was it a informal one or a more formal one with a trained professional. ?

I think being proactive about your mental health is a good thing and Inhooe your boss understands.

I think break ups are hard no matter what the reason. I left a chaotic long term relationship and people thought i should be ok. I was pleased it had ended but I was lonely and sad it didn’t last.

i hope writing here as helped in some way.

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi BenD,

I’ve learnt over the years to take the time that you need, work will always be there. Everything kind of seems to have hit you at once so I don’t blame you for needing a mental health day. They’ll always take what they can, but they won’t even remember it in the long run and would let you go in an instant if they were in a tough spot, so try not to let it bother you too much (although easier said than done!). It sucks that you broke up with your girlfriend, although it sounds like it was for the best in the long run. And at least now frees you up to potentially find someone more compatible. You mentioned that you had a tough session with your family last week - do you mind sharing what happened?

BenD
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Quirkyworkds and Juliet

Thank you for your responses.

The family sesh was run by a trained professional with my four siblings and mum. It was difficult but cathartic. Lots of tears. It was more of a chance to give everyone their go at getting their feelings out in to the open.

I think you're probably right that I've got a lot going on. Sometimes it seems like other people have a lot less on their plate but that's probably not true. I'm just trying to manage day by day.

Ben