FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Relationship troubles

jxav95
Community Member

Hi everyone,

So I have a partner and have been with her for 6 years, but lately things haven't been really rocky. We've been arguing a lot and and it's really taking a toll on me. I try so hard to make sure she's happy and have everything she needs but when we argue she says that she's the only one trying in this relationship. I do love her dearly but I'm at the point where I don't know what to do anymore. A piece of me breaks away more and more each time we right and I'm just not sure how much I have left in me.

3 Replies 3

jtjt_4862
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi jxav95,

Great to have you with us. I'm really sorry to hear about the rough patch that you're going through in your relationship. It must be really hard on you when resentment occurs in your relationship, and you're not sure what to do. You both have done really well to maintain the relationship for 6 years, and it's been a long journey for the two of you.

May I suggest seeking out the assistance of a relationship counselor? Having a counselor for you and your partner to act as a mediator, would greatly help with resolving conflicts (or at least, make both parties come to a mutual agreement of sorts) in your relationship.

If you feel the relationship is something worth fighting for, you could have a chat with your partner about how you feel about her, express your wants to save this relationship and suggest to her that you both seek out a relationship counselor for further assistance. But if you feel that the relationship is wearing you out really badly and fast, then you may need to take care of yourself first and call the shots.

Always happy to listen to you more jxav95, stay strong my friend!

Jt

jxav95
Community Member
I have thought about relationship counselling but my partner is autistic and doesn't talk to anyone unless she knows them, so I'm not sure how that would go. I try to communicate with her but she will only communicate with me when she's not with me via text.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Jxav, welcome to the forums.

When everybody in a relationship says 'she's the only one trying in this relationship', indicates there is a problem, then how are you able to change this around, it's not easy because you could have something special for this person, only to be faced with a comment that rejects you and is it able to be reversed around or does it make you succumb to what you think they exactly want and even then you might not do it properly.

If she only communicates by text, then it's not much of a relationship and it depends on how much you can tolerate.

I'm sorry she is suffering from autism but if you keep being disappointed in her reactions then you need to make a decision.

My best.

Geoff.