FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Relationship mental health

Lonely_girl
Community Member
Ok so I am 20 and have been with my significant other for 4 years and I have major anxiety and my depression is getting worse and worse, they have generalised anxiety. During this time he’s tried to help but I’ve just felt claustrophobic and agitated by it, just wanting to be left alone and he won’t do this. I feel as though I can’t breath. I have spoken to friends about this and they have suggested leaving as I am happier with friends rather then them. I don’t know what to do as everytime I suggest it they panic and cry. I feel as though I’m trapped during these times but I do love them
4 Replies 4

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Lonely_girl, and I'm really sorry you are in this position making it an awkward situation to know what to do, especially after been together for 4 years.

Whether or not your friends are correct is not for me to determine, although if I can suggest both of you require individual counselling, separate from each other.

You need to look after yourself and that's what you need to remember, because 'if he cries and panics' this takes away the help you personally need.

You can contact your doctor, then on a mental health plan which Medicare pays 10 sessions per year can be obtained to visit a psych.

Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 can be contacted where these people are trained and are dressed in casual clothes and can come or talk to you via the net.

It's applicable for those aged up to 25, just HeadSpace is another option to chose.

No matter how much you love somebody, having a mental illness is not your fault and you should never blame yourself.

We hope that you can get back to us as there are others we'd like to help you with.

Take care.

Geoff.

Guest_3256
Community Member

Hi Lonely_girl.

Sounds like you're in a tough situation. if you don't mind me asking, why do you feel claustrophbic and agitated by your significant other trying to support you?

I’m not use to people being there for me by he just gets very emotional and panicky. He doesn’t actually help very often which is why I push him away.
he says he wants to help and goes into great detail but never really changes.

Lonely_girl.

I can totally understand where you are coming from and especially how frustrating it is when you are told something and it's never delivered. Actions speak louder than words right? Extending on this, what do you believe you can do to resolve/ remediate this concern that you have with your partner?