FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Put-down and Judgemental Language by Jehovah's Witnesses

IreneM
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone I am fairly new and this is my first personal post.

I have been a Jehovah's Witness (JW) for quite a few years. I ever since I was a kid was raised in a spiritual family who had a love of God and the Bible. I always had an appreciation for what the bible ways even though I may not always understand it and I love the principles and tips that it contains.

In recent times, since I received my transplanted kidney and, at one stage, lost 70% of my hair. This has made all of the other Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) in my congregation frown upon me, talk down to me, and judge me, telling me to stop my medical treatment. They just don't seem to have any love, unlike some of the other churches that I grew up in.

I was just wondering, regardless of whether you are religious or have a love of spiritual things, have you ever experienced hurt from JWs, not so much when they come to your door, but in passing, on the street or elsewhere.

Do they boss you around? or Do they talk down to you? anything similar?

21 Replies 21

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

IreneM

Thnaks for your thoughtful post.

i think when people have strong beliefs not matter what their religion is and someone goes against those beliefs people can get quite annoyed and angry.

I don’t think Jehovah witness are alone in this by having very strong views.

some religions do not beleve in transplants and transfusions.

it must be hard for you when the people you are hoping to support you are critical of you.

The main thing is you concentrate on getting better and avoid negative people.

Quirky

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear IreneM~

As a person who grew up in a very religious environment I remember clearly my parents discuss the shortcomings of others for such simple matters as not turning up to church regularly. As far as I remember there really was no effort to see why that might have been. Sadly it seems a part of human nature to be quick to judge.

I am sure as someone coming from your background you would have thought deeply about your alternatives and taken what seemed the most appropriate.

While others might not agree with your actions that should not prevent sympathy and support, and if that is not forthcoming perhaps that says more about them than anything else.

I think Quirky is quite right in suggesting that you need to concentrate on your health and try to avoid such negativity.

Croix

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi IreneM

What a blessing, to have received such a gift (the kidney). Life is truly a precious thing.

Personally, I haven't had much experience in regard to interacting with people of the JW faith. I must say, your current experience sounds very challenging indeed. It sounds like the true challenge could be in your conflict of thoughts: 'People should support each other and show love toward each other' vs 'People do not support me and show love toward me (to a degree)'. Do not let this conflict lead you to choose the idea that you do not deserve both support and love. Of course, you do.

I was raised Catholic and although I have shifted away from the faith and more toward general spiritualism, I still value some of the teachings I received in my earlier years - the ones that promote love and support. For a community, religious or not, to support the semi-rejection or full rejection of one of its members in a time of need, this judgement remains questionable (I do not believe this is something Jesus would endorse in any way).

On more of a medical note, much research has been done over recent years in regard to healing. Experts say that healing takes place much faster and more successfully when we are surrounded by people who help promote it with positivity, laughter, love, guidance and support. When the mind, body and spirit are fed the things they truly need, they grow strong (promoting our overall well-being).

You mention the other churches you grew up in. Wondering if you feel drawn to revisit one of them, in order to find the love and support you desire at this time. If this is a consideration, perhaps you could sit in prayer whilst asking for guidance. As a member of the Christian faith, perhaps you could consider asking, within prayer 'What practice is most Christ-like, in order to feel closer to Christ and his teachings of love and support?'

IreneM, I pray for your healing and I pray that enlightening soulful guidance is sent your way, to illuminate the path ahead.

Take care

IreneM
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I agree with you that everyone is entitled to their own views and that everyone should respect everyone else's views and accept that.

But when it comes to putting their beliefs into practice Jehovah's Witnesses don't seem to have any love.

I have decided as you say to move on - I was just interested if anyone else has had similar experiences.

IreneM
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

That's True Croix,

Everyone talks about each other. Jehovah's Witnesses seem to have lots of negative views and gossip behind my back which I know is false.

I'm a strong believer that actions speak louder than words and with JWs that is extremely obvious. Their actions mean that they don't have love towards those related to them in the faith.

Yes, as you will see in my story next month, I have moved on and am now a key figure in the Kidney Community. These people are going to be my new family by the looks of things, since JWs don't want anything to do with me anymore.

IreneM
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

the rising

It's nice to hear from someone with spiritual interests. I don't think it matters which religion or faith you are in - as long as you have a personal relationship with your Creator (Heavenly Father - Jehovah), and receive support to keep you going in critical times that are hard to deal with. Your point on love and consideration towards me vs all talk and no do is a very good one. But no it is not one of conflict but it has forced me to choose who I associate with so that I can be accepted for who I am (which JWs do not do).

Thank you for your encouragement regarding the gift of life from Jehovah God via my deceased donor in WA. I was extremely fortunate to get a really good match. Jehovah God, our Heavenly Father values this so much - which leads to many religions believing in Jesus who paved the way for the gift of life. We will be fortunate enough to one day not worry about these things and live in the New Earth as the bible says.

IreneM

Hello IreneM

I echo the blessing that 'therising' mentioned above re your kidney! I am very happy for your wellness. I was brought up COE and non practicing. I do understand that the JW are not pro medical procedures...blood transfusions etc and thats okay as its their way (respectfully)

Can I mention that I have a dedicated elderly JW that knocks on my door every few weeks.....and even though I dont agree with his views I always make sure he has a drink of cold water and a quick chat after he climbs my steep driveway....and I often see him back to his car as he has difficulty walking

He has tried to lecture me on Armageddon yet after 3 decades of depression/anxiety I have zero interest in hearing about the subject. He has a sound respect for what I do here as a volunteer with Beyond Blue and we have a mutual respect for eachother even though we agree to disagree 🙂

You mentioned "This has made all of the other Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) in my congregation frown upon me, talk down to me, and judge me, telling me to stop my medical treatment"

With all respect to your faith IreneM...I found this sad as a spiritual person. Its only my humble point of view if thats okay. You have had a great gift with your kidney transplant

My kind thoughts for you and your well being 🙂

Paul

IreneM
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Big thanks Paul.

I agree with you totally. They are very dedicated with the work of preaching the good news; but I find that that is about all that they do, which is good.

But their actions and attitudes seem to be more judgemental than loving and as a spiritual person I have to totally agree. I find this difficult too! So I just live my own quiet humble spiritual life now. Just a Christian woman who believes in and makes every effort to do what the bible says without any religious groups or churches to clash with, and a personal relationship with my Father, God and Friend.

That's all that matters in the end.

Irene.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear IreneM~

I'm glad you came back and talked again, you sound a lot more settled and self-reliant now. As you rightly say it is you conduct, you have found a spiritual place, and by the sound of it you are at peace with it and no longer hear the unkind cries of others.

I hope you transplant is working well and trouble free. I also hope for their stakes those that gave you such a hard time come to see their error in doing so.

Croix